Carnival Legend Cruise Review by askimdog

Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 4A
        7-9 2.0

Legend is nice, Ports are GREAT
Just returned from our cruise on the Legend, thought I would give a quick review and thoughts.

We arrived in Tampa ( 2 adults, and a 7 year old child) 5 days early. Tampa was great, we stayed with a dear friend and had lots of fun. Tampa is a great food town, we had awesome Cuban food at Le Terasita and the Columbia. We also geocached the area and ran over to Epcot for the day. All went well, though Epcot could use a cleaning, street litter and dusty places which was different than our trip to DisneyLand last year.

Embarking was easy and quick, very little checking was done. I packed legally, but friends brought aboard more than 12 cans of beer and numerous bottles. By noon we were onboard.

Legend is a bit overdone with all those urns but it is a very easy to get around on. I liked the lay-out. Not being hungry I sat in the enchanted forest and read. I then headed over to the Dreamteam Sports Bar, had some wine I brought onboard and watched football. My beloved Green Bay game then started and it was time to try the Red Frog Ale. The Carnival special beer was okay, better than Bud, but not by much, I purchased a pitcher and a glass which turned out to be my only ship purchases of anything all cruise. I had some sushi for dinner since the sushi bar was close. The sushi was better than it had been on other cruises. After a dejected Packer loss the day had ended.

Sea Day arrived and we had breakfast and lunch on Lido, my first Lido trip of the cruise. I was pressured pretty heavily to buy a D.O.D., almost to the point of aggravating, this is one reason for disliking the Lido deck, besides it being crowded. I will say that many lounge chairs were open most times, fewer chair hogs than I have seen. Dinner was in Truffles, the food was just okay, could have been hotter and it took forever to finish the meal. We traveled with 9 family members, three groups of three. Before the cruise we checked to make sure we were all Early seatings, well, we must of goofed because on arrival my sisters and brothers family had early but we were anytime. Unable to change, we were stuck at anytime all cruise. Saw the early comedy show and retired ( Diane Ford was good). Here on the second night we got a towel animal which my daughter loved, we got the towel animal all but 2 nights.

Grand Cayman was our first port. With reduced price tickets purchased online we did the turtle farm. Wonderful, clean, educational and fun, we swam in both the fresh and salt water pools chasing turtles and going down the water slide, we could have easily spent all day here. On the way back to the ship we geo-cached and had a local meal of stewed cowsfoot, jerk pork and oxtail. Not wanting to wait for food and have a drawn out meal we opted for the buffet again. GREAT Deli sandwiches, pizza was good too. Entrees were hit or miss.

Cozumel was next. We grabbed a cab and played on the other wild side of the island, saw surfers, crashing waves, very few people, wonderful rock outcrops by the sea and miles of natural vegetation, wonderful quiet time away from the hordes. Had dinner at La Choza's a favorite restaurant of ours.

Belize was the third port and amazing. We had a guide through the Wet Lizard and took the city and beer tour. The city was great, we got out a few times and chatted and shopped through-out. In Ladyville we had a private tour of the brewery and drank numerous beers for 45 minutes, all on the house. We then stopped at a roadside stand for beans, rice and local delicacy gibnut ( AKA The Royal Rat). It was perhaps some of the finest meat I ever ate. Our guide Freeman was amazing as we chatted schools, life and nature of this beautiful place. We chatted with kind friendly locals and stopped at a local store to buy local Rum and Cashew wine as discount prices compared to the tourism village. We want to go back!

Our last port was Roatan, this was the biggest joy of the cruise. We hired Juan Carlos Rodriquez as our guide. We saw the island and shopped in small remote areas, climbed up hill tops, played with monkeys, and ended up at the West End beaches...simply gorgeous. We were with Juan Carlos all day, ending our day at an Orphanage dropping off gifts and seeing the kids, our daughter loved this.

Another Sea day and back to Tampa. We did see the Legends Big Easy Show, it was nicely done. The Fun Farewell was a blast, drinks flowed well.

Various thoughts: Easy ship to get around on. Ports are great, though more time on Roatan would be nice. Crew was just okay, not alot of smiles unless you went out of the way to initiate a "hello, how are you". But they worked hard it seems, just not with enthusiasm. Dining Room we tened to avoid more and more, food was never hot, some breakfasts we ate there we were never offered the rolls or danish, other meals I'd ask for tabasco or steak sauce which at times never did seem to arrive. And the dining room meals all took forever. Just easier and happier at the buffet, which had very few lines most of the time.

Weather was awesome, pools were small but for the most part not that crowded. Hot tubs were always crowded, the one time I did get into one I was joined shortly by 5 kids between 6-12 all tossing M&Ms at each other and two M&M wrappers floated by me. ughh.

Never got to Satchmos, thought the piano guy (Alan?) was poor, the guitar players were good though. Sernity deck always seemed crowded. had our CC Meet and Greet there, but had to go as we had children ( 2 seven year olds) and were told to vacate the area, which I understand.

We had an inside room on Riviera/deck 1. Liked the room alot, quick to debarking at ports, quick to entertainment, dark and quiet.

Played some trivia on board, which went very quick . Saw two acts, a ventriliquist who was so-so, oh and a juggler who was not that bad.

Final thoughts...Loved the Legend and would do her again, Loved the ports, food could use an upgrade and be hotter. Hotter food was at the buffet actually. I liked the Didja Ever concept but most of them were pretty bland. Crew could have been a bit more friendly. We did try Camp Carnival, but like the last cruise it hyped up coming back and kept promoting the late night additional fee activities, which made our child pleading. We were not about to let our 7 year old up past 10, when busy port days were on the next days agenda. All in all, my daughter and us will skip CampC from now on. We tried it 2 days last cruise, 1 day this time, no more.

Carnival made this a great cruise for the price though, I hope it doesn't sound or come across complaining, because we might go back on the ship and same ports next time!

Publication Date: 01/28/12