Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Mellow_yellow

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Mellow_yellow
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Spirit
Member Name: Mellow_yellow
Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Honolulu
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8A
Cabin Number: 6???
See More About: Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Honolulu to Vancouver
Firstly I thought I had submitted my review but on reflection I forgot as we were away for so long it just slipped my mind.

But nevertheless here goes.

We arrived in Honolulu from Australia (there was a large contingent of Aussies on this cruise due to the packaging of Fire and Ice cruise land deal). After 10 hour flight we were tired and the wait in the hot sun was tiring and the usual check in etc was not as bad as we have previously experienced with Princess. So overall we were jolly by the time we climbed onboard and found our rooms.

Rooms : We had a balcony ... the only way to travel. The room had heaps of room our suitcases fitted well under the HUGE King size bed and we loved the balcony freedom. This came in handy throughout the cruise for private viewings of comings and goings from ports. To watch Vancouver wake as you sail up to dock was the most fabulous sight ever. Those snow kissed peaks and twinkling lights were magic and breathtaking. Going under the bridge we held our breath as it is quite a big ship after all. Also the balcony was great just for fresh air whenever you wanted it. We are fresh air freaks .. so this was mandatory. The steward (a girl whose name I cannot remember now) she was fabulous ... all our quirky requests were met with instant service and the towel arrangements every night on the bed were events we looked forward to as we closed down for the night.

Dining : We had a preset table for the late sitting. This was perfect for us as we could come back from excursions as late as we liked and sit at the table well into the night without them chasing us out for next service. If you want to sit over your brandy and chat take the late sitting. Our waiters were outstanding .. O'Dane and Christopher made it their special aim to remember our favourite meals ... reminding us when specialist desserts would be on and just anticipating our ever whim with pleasure and a smile which made dining all the more memorable. The food was good to excellent ... if you didn't like it .. it was replaced.

Entertainment : the shows were OK (not as good as Princess) but we still enjoyed them. The Elvis show on board was terrific. Stu was an Aussie and most non-Aussies did not really understand his humour .. but we liked him. He had a hard job pleasing everyone.

Excursions : We opted to not do any excursions on this particular cruise as we had experience in Hawaii before and we hired a car on the Big Island and the Garden Island drove to the volcanoes and toured around and basically did our own thing here. Good decision. It was easily accessed to hire car depot in all instances.

Spa : On the ship I availed myself of the spa services for beauty treatments ... although a bit expensive I revelled in the results. Also whenever I saw a spa staff member anywhere else on the ship they always greeted me by name .. nice touch.

The Ship: Over all the ship looked a bit dated decor wise the cherubs were a bit overwhelming on the roof at times. The hallway to our cabin a bit garish but we ignored this most of the time as we quite enjoyed the ship inside.

Publication Date: 01/27/12