Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Mellow_yellow: Honolulu to Vancouver

Honolulu to Vancouver

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Honolulu

Firstly I thought I had submitted my review but on reflection I forgot as we were away for so long it just slipped my mind.

But nevertheless here goes.

We arrived in Honolulu from Australia (there was a large contingent of Aussies on this cruise due to the packaging of Fire and Ice cruise land deal). After 10 hour flight we were tired and the wait in the hot sun was tiring and the usual check in etc was not as bad as we have previously experienced with Princess. So overall we were jolly by the time we climbed onboard and found our rooms.

Rooms : We had a balcony ... the only way to travel. The room had heaps of room our suitcases fitted well under the HUGE King size bed and we loved the balcony freedom. This came in handy throughout the cruise for private viewings of comings and goings from ports. To watch Vancouver wake as you sail up to dock was the most fabulous sight ever. Those snow kissed peaks and twinkling lights were magic and breathtaking. More Going under the bridge we held our breath as it is quite a big ship after all. Also the balcony was great just for fresh air whenever you wanted it. We are fresh air freaks .. so this was mandatory. The steward (a girl whose name I cannot remember now) she was fabulous ... all our quirky requests were met with instant service and the towel arrangements every night on the bed were events we looked forward to as we closed down for the night.

Dining : We had a preset table for the late sitting. This was perfect for us as we could come back from excursions as late as we liked and sit at the table well into the night without them chasing us out for next service. If you want to sit over your brandy and chat take the late sitting. Our waiters were outstanding .. O'Dane and Christopher made it their special aim to remember our favourite meals ... reminding us when specialist desserts would be on and just anticipating our ever whim with pleasure and a smile which made dining all the more memorable. The food was good to excellent ... if you didn't like it .. it was replaced.

Entertainment : the shows were OK (not as good as Princess) but we still enjoyed them. The Elvis show on board was terrific. Stu was an Aussie and most non-Aussies did not really understand his humour .. but we liked him. He had a hard job pleasing everyone.

Excursions : We opted to not do any excursions on this particular cruise as we had experience in Hawaii before and we hired a car on the Big Island and the Garden Island drove to the volcanoes and toured around and basically did our own thing here. Good decision. It was easily accessed to hire car depot in all instances.

Spa : On the ship I availed myself of the spa services for beauty treatments ... although a bit expensive I revelled in the results. Also whenever I saw a spa staff member anywhere else on the ship they always greeted me by name .. nice touch.

The Ship: Over all the ship looked a bit dated decor wise the cherubs were a bit overwhelming on the roof at times. The hallway to our cabin a bit garish but we ignored this most of the time as we quite enjoyed the ship inside. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Main 6???

The cabins were excellent. Liked the layout with the table .. deck chairs outside were also good. But the little table could have been a bit bigger it only held 2 glasses and was very low. My back told me so many times. Plenty of space for hanging clothes and cupboard space for other bits and pieces. Overall excellent use of space. Beds were nice and big.

(3)
We hired a car here again .. it was good but we were disappointed with the volcanoes. All we could see was some distant steam rising. But we did a drive north of Hilo later and it was an off beat tourist stretch and it was fabulous. Terrific waterfalls, tropical walks .. not to many people either.
Read 270 Hilo Reviews

We took the local bus service just outside the dock for $1 to Diamond Head and did some walking - climbing to the top for spectular views. Bus back (again $1 - seniors rate $2.50 for adult). Best way to see the island.
Read 264 Honolulu Reviews

We hired a car here - great drive up the coast - waterfalls etc. Hire car easily accessible.
Read 237 Kauai Reviews

(2)
Kona was a tender port .. nothing to do at Kona but Walmart (free bus) and look around town and shop. Internet cafe was poor .. did not open until 11am and then needed proding. This was the first place we found internet service. Next time I take WiFi.
Read 165 Kona Reviews

(5)
We took 2 one day tours from a fellow just outside the gate .. and they were exceptional. http://www.hawaiian-eyes.com/ if you want a traditional tour and half the cost and smaller buses ... a personal touch ... this is the tour for you. We had a great time singing and getting the islander view of things. Get Ricky to sing as well .. he is GOOD.
Read 263 Maui Reviews