Disney Wonder Cruise Review by KZ84: Deeply Disappointed in What was Supposed to be Awesome...

KZ84

Public Rooms Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera Cruises

Deeply Disappointed in What was Supposed to be Awesome...

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This was my first cruise. I traveled with my husband, daughter (1) and son (10). What I have to say is similar to the other reviews here but I thought I would add my opinion to anyone considering going.

What Was Good:

Everyone smiled at us, no matter where we were. There was always a friendly face and someone to greet us. When I was trying to push a stroller and carry a tray, there was always a worker ready to lend a hand and help.

There were a lot of good shows and they try to keep your kids entertained.

Guest services was very polite and willing to accommodate. One night we missed our time for dinner and I asked if my family would be able to sit at the later dinner. They arranged everything for us.

What Was Bad:

The food. I hate to talk about it but my husband got food poisoning the second to last night. What was supposed to be an awesome vacation for us turned out to be awful for him. Ever been vomiting on a boat rocking back and More forth? Not good. I felt so bad for him. It was a small room as well. He said his chicken tasted bad and sure enough he got sick that night.

Besides the food poisoning, the food itself is about the same you would get in a school cafeteria. In fact, it brought back school memories for me! The food at sit down dinner was slightly better. I would equate it to a cheap buffet. It was really that bad and I'm not particular at all.

There is no food 24 hours a day except room service. As you can imagine that food wasn't good either. After you eat dinner, essentially all the food closes except for the pizza place. When it was time to give my daughter her bedtime snack, I hated the idea of pizza or fried chicken. I gave her fruit but she spit it out. It was not fresh.

Besides the food (which is unforgivable to get sick on a cruise), the kids club was just okay for my son. He had fun but mostly he said he was bored. For his age range I am not sure they cater as much. He made friends with one other boy, the same age.

My daughter was too little to enjoy it. The lines for each character were so long that by the time we would get to a character she would be too tired and cranky to get a picture taken.

We put her in the Flounders Reef but as someone else mentioned, you don't know when activities are going on around the ship. The times she went in my husband and I circled and circled and circled the decks with nothing to do. The only adult thing planned for that block of hours was "DJ at the pool." We went and there was no DJ, just some radio tunes playing by the adult pool and about 100 parents crammed in a small space.

The staff in the daycare is wonderful though and was very accommodating to my daughter who tends to be shy.

I know it sounds strange but there is not nearly as much going on as most other cruises (so I hear). We found there were large blocks of time there wasn't really anything happening. Then when a show would be going on, nearly everyone on the ship crams to see it. Dreams was the name of a show they put on and it was really nice. However, everyone else on the ship wanted to see it was well so my son and I had to sit on the floor in the back of the auditorium...not so much fun.

I live in the LA area and got a really good deal on this cruise. If it wasn't for that I would feel totally robbed of my hard earned money.

My husband is still a little sick and we don't feel a bit more relaxed or at ease after this vacation. As sad as it may seem, my husband and I started talking about how we need a vacation from this vacation!

One other thing I wanted to mention. If you cruise with a 2 or under child you will find there is nothing for them to do. We had hoped for at least an indoor playground or open space she could play in. Alas, we were stuck walking her in the stroller around and around and around.

Two things that are simply unacceptable on this cruise was the food (and food poising) and the waiter we had. My son is a vegetarian and EACH and EVERY night at dinner the waiter said, "Why don't you get the steak? C'mon!" I had to remind him that my son has dietary issues. He also pressured my husband to get the steak each night. He said, "Why don't you eat meat!? C'mon!!" My husband does not eat meat. These were arrangements we made with Disney ahead of time. We felt not listened to and pressured. Believe it or not...we just wanted to avoid dinner, food, and our server by the end of the cruise.

I certainly hope others have a better experience. I do not plan on taking another cruise and certainly will not be going on any more Disney cruises. I do love Disney and Disneyland, and will stick to that. Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>