Disney Wonder Cruise Review by Staffieri: Best Cruise For Families & Romance

Best Cruise For Families & Romance

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This is by far the BEST cruise to go on with kids. I have been twice and this time my kids had just turned 5 and 13. Disney does everything great.
We do not drink so we only spent $23 on the boat. My kids never asked for anything. ALL was included!!! The kids clubs were great. Thankfully there are port stops or I might have never seen my 13 year old. Your kids are so loved and taken care of that it gives you a chance to be a couple again. And I'm not good at leaving my kids places and my little daughter who doesn't like to be left anywhere kept asking to go. They really made such efforts with the kids. The adult dinning is worth it. It cost us $20 a person. So romantic. They feed your kids while your there.
The 3 BIG shows were like Disney on Broadway. My little girl loved them. I cried a few times at just the lovely time our family was having.
There was no window in our cabin and this was hard the first night, then after made no difference. WE were on deck 2 and got to More everything easy.
The first day bring a small bag for suits and head to the pools. Eat out on the deck and watch the kids use the slide while you eat. Skip where there directing you and just go to the pool. So fun. Good idea is to bring a head of time princess dress for your girls and an autograph book. There are so many chances to see the characters. On the Alaska cruise the boat was HOT. Wish I had brought sandles and more short sleeves for the boat. I would book Disney over and over again with kids!!! Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder Deluxe Inside Stateroom Deck One

Hiking

(5)
Me and my 13 year old son did the level II. The weather was horrible, so I can't imagine how much better the sites would look in clear weather. When I called I could not have received better service and information. The customer service from phone call to guide was outstanding. This is a very expensive tour about $399 a person. It is a once an lifetime experience. They picked us up and brought us to the office. Here you receive lots of help and gear. Your gear is jacket, pants, boots, ice crampons, fanny pack with snack and water, helmet, all the gear you can imagine to go hiking on a glacier. Remember this is not a walk on the ice. It is an adventure!! You are out on the glacier for two hours. Our guide was amazing at giving us instructions, pointing out and showing us amazing sites. And drinking the fresh water. There were only 5 of us. So it felt very personnel. The helicopter ride was very exciting. I am 40 years old and overweight and I could do this but it was hard and a workout. My son loved it and had no problems. Next time ice climbing!!
Read 11 Hiking Reviews

Dog Sledding

(5)
We book the Dog Musher Camp with Alaska Excursions for the last week in August 2011. it was me, my mom age 62, Son age 13, and Daughter just turned 5. This was a great experience and everyone was so helpful and professional. We booked over the phone I wanted an earlier time and we the trip got closer about a month away they called and were able to give me the earlier time. Great customer service!! One of the reason they did not get 5 star is it advertised as a Dog Musher camp and you do much more. So it makes you feel like you need more time with the dogs, which I'm sure everyone does. I think it should be called Skagway's views and Dog Musher Camp. Here our day.. They picked us up right at the Disney boat. Very easy. Beautiful coach bus for about 20 with BIG windows. As they drive you, they point out sites, give history, and we saw eagles, and otters. when you arrive there you first go over a creek with many Salmon. I wished our driver knew more about the salmon. They were all over. Then you take a four wheel truck vehicle up the mountain. Crazy fun ride. Again you are seeing so many beautiful things. They it a ride with the dogs. Its like a wheel wagon. And the dogs are excited!!! It is fast. You will want to do it again. You meet the dogs and then back down to base camp. Here there is a small shop. they give you hot chocolate and cookies and you get to play with the puppies. I think because we book direct through them we had plenty of time at base camp and playing with the puppies. They talk with you a lot and teach you about dog sledding. On the way back you stop again for a short hike over looking the mountain and lake. Just BEAUTIFUL!!! I only again gave this four because I thought it would be a lot more time sledding. I think if you know the whole plan then its an amazing adventure. I would do it again. telling my group it is a tour of Skagway with dogs. Talking with people who paid WAY more to do this in the snow I think we made the better choice. We instead choose to do a glacier adventure in Juneuo.