Crystal Serenity Cruise Review by Tbomb: Panama Canal cruise

Compare Prices on Crystal Serenity Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Panama Canal cruise

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

We returned this week from our second cruise on the Serenity - about our 25th cruise overall. This was a 14 day itinerary from Miami to LA through the Panama Canal.

Boarding was effortless. A nice buffet was ready for us to help kill time until our cabin was ready.

Food - Overall the food was excellent with one notable exception. We requested a table for 2. We were assigned one but in a very poor location that could not be corrected for a couple of days. Apparently many more oele than expected requested early seating and this created seating issues. Eventually more and more people starting opting for room service and this opened up more tables in the dining room. My wife did get I'll afterveating in the Italian restaurant - not sure exactly what the culprit was but it took her a couple of days to recover. Food at the grill was very good. Room service was quick but the food could have been hotter. I thought the lunch buffet could have had more variety - roast chicken More of one type or another every day. The 2 special buffets were excellent.

Cabin - we had a deluxe stateroom with balcony. Nice size, comfortable bed, very nice towels in the bathroom. Our stewardess was fantastic. Major drawback was shortage of electrical outlets.

Service - the room, pool, and bar staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and very good at their jobs.

Atmosphere - I am 59 years old and felt very young, definitely in the youngest 20 percent of the guests. The ship seemed very empty except just before and after the early dinner seating. I'm not a fan of formal nights but most everyone on this ship loved it. No other options other than room service. Someone even complained because some people dared to walk around the ship not appropriately dressed up. Too snobby for my tastes and almost a deal killer if I consider Crystal again.

Excursions - one of Crystal's strongpoints and excellent on this cruise. Less