“That SMELL is still there and RCCL is negligent”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas

Res1@holt Explorer of the Seas 4 That SMELL is still there and RCCL is negligent
Res1@holt
Member Since 2012
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My family and family friends took a 10-day cruise for the second time on the explorer of the seas. We took the same ship twice because the first trip was a great experience on a very family oriented ship, which meet what we where looking for on the first cruise. Both families had balcony rooms on the rear of the ship on the 10Th floor on both cruises. On the second cruise we experienced a horrific sewage smell that started on the third day of the 10-day cruise and continued right up to the day we walked of the ship on the 10th day. The smell was so unbearable that it woke me out of a sleep at 3am in the morning. My 11 year old son, was up and down all night. My wife got sick a couple of nights, was very tired most of the cruise, had leg cramps and headaches most of the cruise. When we returned to shore we learned that these symptoms are a result of breathing methane gas which is produced by sewage. We meet several other people that where sick from the smell, some moved from there original cabins only to be moved to a cabin that smelled worse. One night there where 10 people at 1am in the morning at the customer service counter complaining the smell was unbearable and unhealthy to be breathing in. RCCL did not have open rooms to move any of us to at the time. There where at least two cabins to my knowledge near our rooms that where moved because of toilet failures. The worst part was at the start customer service denied there was an issue and each time we made a call about the smell they acted as if it was the first time we called. I asked for a print out of my complaints which they would not provide because they all where not being logged in. I was told it was a company policy. We walked several staff members to the area who all agreed it was a horrific smell, along with agreeing it would be hard to stay in the area for a long period of time. We went as far as speaking to the Captain about the issue. He agreed it happened in the past, but only once. However, if you read past reviews this has been happening for several months with obviously no solution. From the people I met and spoke with I am guessing that there where 40+ cabins affected and all seemed to be towards the rear of the ship port side. I could go on and on about how we complained but I think I have provided enough info for others to understand the issue. When I asked crew members, when we got off the ship if they where going to allow new guests to board the ship knowing that there was a sewage issue that obviously has been posing health issues for the current passengers and they stated yes. To me this is now pure negligence on RCCL's part. All other aspects of the cruise where great, our cabin attended (hopefully they moved him to a new area) our dining room staff, especially Ivan who made our kids laugh. The kids looked forward to seeing him and Sami every night. Entertainment met our expectations along with the daily agendas to keep us entertained. There was a well balanced day for family and a nightlife for those who where night owls. My review would have been much more positive if it wasn't for the smell and how RCCL addressed the issue and just been honest along with promptly addressing the issue at hand. Its obvious there intentions are about money. Very disappointed.
Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

Port
Been here several times, but never more than 4-hours (why??) i hear there are really nice things to do and places to see. Never wanted to venture to far from the ship. Went on the Bcardi factory tour which is under construction for the next two years (no warning) wouldnt recomend this until construction is completed.
Read 2,274 San Juan Reviews
Great Island, short boat ride if you want to share your day between shopping, lunch and the beach. If you want just beach there are several others that are just a short cab ride away.
Read 3,323 St. Maarten Reviews
Port
Plenty of shopping. Been to Megans Bay several times love the beach, but price to go on the beach has gone way up. Cookie beach is just as nice, no admission. Both beaches are very crowded.
Read 3,412 St. Thomas Reviews
Published 01/22/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Explorer of the Seas Review
Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?