Golden Princess Cruise Review by nn1800: Wonderful holiday cruise on Golden to Hawaii
Overall Member Rating
Wonderful holiday cruise on Golden to Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles
We were a group of six (2 seniors, 2 adults, and 2 children ages 9 and 11) and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Golden to Hawaii. My main impressions are:
(1) The ship is well maintained given its age; and the Pacific was very peaceful except for the two days close to LA that were a bit rocky; Embarkation was quick at the counter - but then we sat on the chairs for about an hour before boarding. Love the safety drill in the theater.
(2) Food is above average and a delight for seafood lovers, although sushi was at best average. We chose any time dining and were assigned Bernini. On formal nights, reservations are limited. We just went at around 5:30, which is when dinner opens. The formal dinners took 2 hours to finish but who was in a rush?
(3) Shows on board leave a lot to be desired, especially compared to HAL Oosterdam we sailed with in summer 2010. Simple stage, simple lighting, etc.
(4) On board activities were great - Hawaii-themed More activities are not to be missed and there were plenty of them. The Elua team is a gem and does a wonderful job! Go early for the lei class tickets - there is usually a line before 9am (when they are supposed to start distributing them) and there is a 2 ticket/person limit. However, on the way back, the ribbon lei class ticket distribution was not as crowded.
(5) Great to have on board laudromat, but the dryers sucked!! Bring at least $10 worth of quarters with you if not more. The front desk is not of much help there. On the first day at sea back from Hawaii, many were asking for quarters but weren't getting what they wanted.
(6) You can go to the front desk and ask to be taken off the automatic tipping charges. There are envelopes you can pick up, but these are generic and nothing is printed on them.
(7) On board shops are average and the sale items ("everything $10" and the like) are of inferior quality in my mind.
The average age on the ship was definitely on the high side. Lots of walkers/wheelchair. There some "rude" behavior from the seniors, but I guess it could also be that they don't react as quickly or are as observant. My husband toasted bagels and came back watching some senior citizen picking them up. Oh well. Can't let that spoil the trip.
Hawaii was wonderful. See my port reviews below.
Overall we enjoyed the cruise very much and would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. Less
Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>
Port and Shore Excursions
Penthouse Suite on PoA
Great service, great ship, gre...
Great Cruise, My Advice on Exc...
Princess vs. Royal Caribbean C...
Visiting 3 New Countries
Big Ship, Business Class Stand...
For the elderly not the young ...