Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Smithster

Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Galveston
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: OS
See More About: Carnival Magic Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
        10-12 5.0

Carnival Magic - 4 Cabins booked for family
We had 4 cabins booked, two inside, one balcony and we were in Ocean Suite. The big reason we booked with Carnival again is our 11 year old granddaughter that we have taken on two prior cruises. We had our grown kids and some had never been on a cruise. Also it was out of Galveston and our kids lived in Texas. With that said, first we all had a great time as we are able to have fun no matter what. My kids and grand kids in their 40's and 20's had a ball and great to get together for mini reunion.

Since we are seasoned cruisers in future will be on another line (RCCL) to start building status for discounts, which is not really what Carnival has.

The food was good, certainly better than of Carnival of years ago. We also went to Chef's Table (extra charge) and it was held in galley and was a 3 hour experience. Well worth the money spent and everyone thought it was one of the highlights of the cruise.

Our granddaughter was in Camp Carnival a lot of time, but since she is now 11yrs old, they are allowed to check themselves in and out of Camp. I was not pleased with that as I do think anyone under 12 should have an adult check them in and out. She had fun but I am not sure if a lot of things were not offered or she just did not partake as she seemed to be on her own with her Mom more than we had in past.

We booked Ocean suite thinking it was a real suite, only to find out it was equivalent to a Jr Suite. Really our error, but if Carnival had just mentioned they had larger suites would have gone to one of them.

Sang in karaoke which I love, but really think since they have Camp Carnival should limit karaoke to adults only. Following a 5 year old was not good. I know it is Carnival so I guess I should expect that.

Hot tubs were only HOT once, the rest of time just tub water, but relaxing all the same.

Carnival Capers had scheduled event for all Veterans and when my hubby showed up along with others and 3 guys over 90 from WWII they found no Carnival rep there, no service and lights not even on. He was so upset he told the Hotel Director, who did not seem to even really care.

I did not go to CC function but talked to some and same thing, no service, no snacks and no giveaways as I have seen in past.

We have been on Carnival many times and do have fun, but this is really for the under 40crowd. It worked fine for our huge age group

Publication Date: 01/22/12