Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Smithster: Carnival Magic - 4 Cabins booked for family

Smithster
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Mexican Riviera Cruises

Carnival Magic - 4 Cabins booked for family

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Galveston

We had 4 cabins booked, two inside, one balcony and we were in Ocean Suite. The big reason we booked with Carnival again is our 11 year old granddaughter that we have taken on two prior cruises. We had our grown kids and some had never been on a cruise. Also it was out of Galveston and our kids lived in Texas. With that said, first we all had a great time as we are able to have fun no matter what. My kids and grand kids in their 40's and 20's had a ball and great to get together for mini reunion.

Since we are seasoned cruisers in future will be on another line (RCCL) to start building status for discounts, which is not really what Carnival has.

The food was good, certainly better than of Carnival of years ago. We also went to Chef's Table (extra charge) and it was held in galley and was a 3 hour experience. Well worth the money spent and everyone thought it was one of the highlights of the cruise.

Our granddaughter was in Camp Carnival a lot of time, More but since she is now 11yrs old, they are allowed to check themselves in and out of Camp. I was not pleased with that as I do think anyone under 12 should have an adult check them in and out. She had fun but I am not sure if a lot of things were not offered or she just did not partake as she seemed to be on her own with her Mom more than we had in past.

We booked Ocean suite thinking it was a real suite, only to find out it was equivalent to a Jr Suite. Really our error, but if Carnival had just mentioned they had larger suites would have gone to one of them.

Sang in karaoke which I love, but really think since they have Camp Carnival should limit karaoke to adults only. Following a 5 year old was not good. I know it is Carnival so I guess I should expect that.

Hot tubs were only HOT once, the rest of time just tub water, but relaxing all the same.Carnival Capers had scheduled event for all Veterans and when my hubby showed up along with others and 3 guys over 90 from WWII they found no Carnival rep there, no service and lights not even on. He was so upset he told the Hotel Director, who did not seem to even really care.

I did not go to CC function but talked to some and same thing, no service, no snacks and no giveaways as I have seen in past.

We have been on Carnival many times and do have fun, but this is really for the under 40crowd. It worked fine for our huge age group Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Suite Empress 7364

We did take tour but not from ship. We took the Chacchoben Extreme Tour from Native Choice and I highly recommend this. There were 8 of us and another couple from ship, so it was like a private tour of the ruins. Also included visit to Bacalar lagoon for swimming and kayaking. Lunch and drinks (yes alcohol) entrance fees and bottle water included. The guide was great and we were always 15min ahead of the huge bus loads of people from ship.

(5.5)
Went to Chankanaab Park and highly recommend this. They have swim with the dolphins, hiking trail, scuba, snorkeling, sea lion show, some shops, lagoon, beach. Lunch was great. If you go online there is a coupon. Ship offers tour, but you can just cab it over if you want.
Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

Only thing great about this place, three of us had a message on the beach for $15.00 each for an hour. Best message I have had. You have to not be modest. If we ever go back this is all I will do. When we got off boat, you have to take bus to town as it is to far to walk. The town was not ready for us at all. It was zoo and tempers flared of people not wanting to stand in line. You did not even know which line to get in. Very badly operated.
Read 284 Progreso Reviews