MSC Splendida Cruise Review by Hotlatte: SPLENDID ON MSC SPLENDIDA!

Hotlatte
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on MSC Splendida Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

SPLENDID ON MSC SPLENDIDA!

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Msc Splendida and our first ever cruise. It was spotlessly clean with a constant programme of steaming, spraying, wiping and polishing. There was barely a finger mark or smudge anywhere.

The food was lovely, and I am a picky customer to say the least - a choice of fine dining or fast food was available. We had breakfast most mornings in our allocated dining room - Villa Verde (very pleasant - waiting staff excellent)and always our evening meal there. Again, excellent choice - pasta and risottos, meats and fish, fresh vegetables and salads, potatoes of the day. Lovely desserts and fabulous sorbets. The cafeteria-style dining (Bora Bora and Pago Pago)was as you would expect - pizza, pasta, burgers, salad, chips etc but there was always another choice such as a curry and fish of the day. The free coffee/tea stations were sited in the cafeterias so we were in and out all the time and we were surprised at how many people chose to eat almost all their meals there rather than More restaurant dining with a greater choice. Didn't they miss their vegetables?

Our balcony cabin was furnished to a high standard and very clean. The bed was really comfy, the en-suite bath/shower etc spotless. Limited English TV viewing but what the heck.

We considered the bar prices to be fine. The lowest price bottle of white wine was €16 and very palatable. We had cocktails for under €7 which were excellent. Some people were 'commenting' about the prices but I don't understand why. Realistically, you are in a 4/5* hotel and I cannot recall buying a bottle of wine for as little as €16 at a decent restaurant or nice hotel bar anywhere!

We didn't take the organised tours; 'doing our own thing' resulted in us saving an absolute fortune and having a better time exploring. Do a little research before you go, that would be my advice. For example, organised coach to Rome (just the coach there and back, no guide etc), I recall €45 each. Instead, we took the train (7 mins pleasant stroll from the port)and for €9 each bought all day train/bus/Metro tickets!

Entertainment in the theatre was okay, not West End but what can you expect? The entire staff - everyone - were the most pleasant I have met for a long time. All in all a very pleasant experience for our first cruise. I don't see how much better it could have been as I don't believe there could be total perfection; as I said before I am Ms Picky. Less

Read more MSC Splendida cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Splendida Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Splendida Oceanview with Balcony De Chirico Deck 8183

Quite spacious room with loads of closet space and drawers, nice balcony, en-suite with shower and bath, no noise.