Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Sweet_Misery: Tilting Fun on the Liberty

Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Tilting Fun on the Liberty

Sail Date: January 2012

Embarkation: We boarded the Carnival Liberty in Miami around 12:30 PM. My parents had Platinum status, so we got to go in the VIP Lounge for the first time. Our room wasn't ready until 2 PM, so we ate lunch on the Lido Deck in Emile's. We went to the safety briefing in The Cabinet lounge, for the disabled passengers.

Tilting: The ship tilted on Sunday morning about 40 degrees. Stuff fell off the shelves in our room and the water from the pool went everywhere, so the crew had to clean up a lot. We were told it was a "Technical error." Kinda scary, especially after hearing about the Costa disaster in Italy.

Room: We have a cabin on the eighth floor, right under the lido deck. I love staying on the eighth floor, cause I can just run upstairs and get a drink or and ice cream cone for Mom. We were on the starboard side, so we were able to see all the sail away action from our room. It was pretty quiet except for the rolling carts above us. Our room always felt hot More even though the air conditioning was at full blast. Our balcony wasn't very smoky either, but the door clicked during the middle of the night. We never met our room steward. Must be one who hides under the bed while you're in there.

Silver Dining Room: We were seated for dinner at table 334 in The Silver dining room with 5 people who only spoke Japanese and the service was pretty slow, so we asked for a seat reassignment. We got changed to table 551 in the same dining room. We had Ralph from Jamaica as our new waiter. He was very funny and even helped my mom with her wheelchair every night.

Food: On the lido deck, they mostly served American, Italian, and Caribbean food. The fruit soups were my favorite starters. The fried shrimp, the pasta, the meatloaf, Chateaubriand with Bearnaise sauce were my favorite entrees. The
Bitter and Blanc, the cake pops, Warm Chocolate Melting cake, and the Chocolate Raspberry Vanilla Cream Cake were my favorite desserts. The Burritos at Blue Iguana and Guy's Plain Jane burger were good as well.

Entertainment: We went to Karaoke, Bean Bag Tournament, The 70's dance class, Game Show Mania, Name that 80's tune trivia, Wonderful World, The Gender Showdown, the MJ dance moves competition, and the Big Hair competition. We skipped Singin' with the Big Band with Christopher Alan Graves, because we have seen it twice already. The four comedians were great and Just Rock was my favorite show. I didn't watch any movies at the seaside theatre.

Staff: Butch Begovich was the cruise director and one of the friendliest I have had. I enjoyed the social hosts, such as Josh and Marie as well. I only saw Amy one time at Bingo. Roy from Indonesia helped me lift my mom's wheelchair up the ramp at every port.

Shopping: The watches for $10 and the sets for $19.99 are a rip off. Mom opened the bag her watch was in and it was sticky where the side things had fallen off, so Dad went back to the shop to return it. When he came back with a new watch, the second hand was broken, so he had to go back to the shop and get another one. We did buy some t-shirts and two of the sea glass animals they were selling.

Debarkation: we debarked the ship in Miami at 7:30 am, due to my parent's Platinum status. It was one of the fastest debarkations I have had. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Balcony Verandah 8397

It was pretty quiet except for the rolling carts above us. Our room always felt hot even though the air conditioning was at full blast. We could always smell Garlic bread baking upstairs. Our balcony wasn't very smoky either, but the door clicked during the middle of the night.

we arrived in Grand Turk at 11 AM, so we went to the Shopping Talk beforehand. The last time we were here, we took the Guana loop bus tour to the lighthouse and the prison. This time, my Dad took a Ultimate Snorkeling trip and got to pet a 6 foot long nurse shark while he was at one of the two stops. Mom and I just walked around the port shops.

The last time we were here with the Norwegian Jewel, we were only on the island from 5 PM to midnight, and we walked through the shops in Old San Juan, so it was nice to see the island in the daylight. We were in port with the Celebrity Millennium, the Norwegian Gem, and the Holland American New Amsterdam. This time, we took an independent tour for 10 dollars a person with William Torres, around the city. We saw the memorial for police officers and the president statues, the beach across from the Hilton, and the fort. Our tour bus driver, dropped us off in the town square and we went to the flea markets and the shops in Old San Juan.
Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

The last two times we were here, we went to Coral World and we took a ferry over to St. John so Dad could go snorkeling. This time we took a taxi to Charlotte Amalia, which is considered their downtown. We went to a flea market, where I saw two women fighting over which one had the wooden birds in their hand first. Then we walked around the ship approved shops. We took a taxi back to port, after the driver took some people to K-Mart. Dad went on The Castaway snorkeling excursion to Buck Island, while Mom and I walked around the Havensight shops until it started raining.
Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews