Diamond Princess Cruise Review by AdrianaSampaio: Sydney to Auckland - Christmas Cruise

AdrianaSampaio
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Diamond Princess Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Sydney to Auckland - Christmas Cruise

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

This was our first cruise with Princess.This was our 3rd cruise.

SHIP: It's huge, nice, clean, has a very nice walk on the Promenade with excellent views. I found a bit confusing on deck 5/6 with the restaurants dividing it in two parts, so that is my only complaint.

DINING: plenty of food, all the time. With few options of restaurants is not easy to get bored with the food, we tried both the Steak House and Sabatinis (with the surcharge) and would happily return to Sabatinis. We used the buffet for almost of all meals (as we had the any time dining) we couldn't use the International, and we tried to use the other restaurants and turned down because they were full (so just managed to use Savoy for 2 nights) so to avoid disappointment we sticked with the buffet. By the end the waiters knew us and we would have a table reserved for us with our wine bottle and sparkling water waiting for us. So if you stick with the buffet, try to seat on the same area, because it's More "served" by the same waiters and they get to know you :)

BARS: I hated the Lobby Bar, always full with people playing cards and reading books, and we managed to find a table few times, I end up coming home with my coffee card half empty, no chance to drink a coffee down there :(
And the service was very poor too, i managed to use it 6 times, and 3 of those times were BAD (1st one I had to get up after being there for 10 minutes to order my drink, 2nd time I had to waive my hand (like a crazy woman) for a long time until the waiter come to get my order, and 3rd and final time I had to interrupt a LONG conversation from the bar staff to be able to get someone to get my order) I believe the staff on the Lobby Bar tend to get a bit lazy because of those "people" who seats there and don't order anything just read/play cards/etc. So the waiters probably got tired of asking people if they want something and not getting any orders.

All the other bars had great service like everywhere else in the ship, lobby bar is BAD. At the pool bars the waiter are always around and very attentive.

ROOM: we got an outside with Balcony on Caribbe (level 10 Port Side) Its a good size room with lots of storage, good size balcony with half of it being covered, bathroom is on the small side but manageable.

Check in / out: Very organised, 10/10!

PHOTOS: It could be better, there wasn't any "package" so it become very expensive, they should have packages and more deals. And more opportunities for photos (during the day, casual style, etc)and the photographer could be more careful when taking pictures on ports so a nice background is showing instead of other passengers walking behind it.

ULTIMATE SHIP TOUR: we did it! and it was very nice, you must do it at least once in your life, visiting the bridge, galley, laundry, etc, and having some bubbles, strawberries coated in chocolate with the captain on the bridge was definitely a highlight, and the photos and gifts makes it even better!

ENTERTAINMENT: I found it hard to find things to do sometimes, but as I said before we are very laid back so some of the activities didn't got our attention, Some of the shows were great, some average. If the weather was better I wouldn't have minded as I'm one of those that stays all day around the pool.

SERVICE: AMAZING, i think it says all, apart from the Lobby Bar, its 10/10! Less

Read more Diamond Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Diamond Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Diamond Princess Oceanview Obstructed Emerald C236

C236 (Sydney to Auckland)Port Side It's very spacious room with a decent size walk in wardrobe,big balcony, being half covered and half un-covered, so if you stay back people above you can't see you. View from this balcony on Port side is amazing on this cruise, recommended. Very quiet room.