Ruby Princess Cruise Review by Inthewoods: Great time had by all

Inthewoods
Member Since 2007

Great time had by all

Sail Date: November 2011

We started our vacation by spending 2 days in Ft.Lauderdale at the Hampton Inn North Cruise Port. Highly recommend the hotel. Very organized in getting us to the ship. A small shopping plaza within walking distance - great for stocking up on last minute items/snacks. We booked the hotel shuttle to take us to a diner I had read about on CC. It's called "Lesters" - about a mile from hotel.
The food did not disappoint. Our embarkation went very smoothly and we were on
the ship by lunch time. Our steward "Rodrigo" was very accommodating and not intrusive at all. We chose anytime dining and usually made reservations for the
early seating. I know people seem to complain a lot about the nightly shows but
we always found them entertaining. My only regret was not getting to watch any
movies under the stars. A week goes by quickly. We enjoy trivia games and that
was great afternoon fun. We did enjoy the "International Cafe" for lunch most
days. They have a good More assortment of food for a quick bite. I highly
recommend the Waldorf chicken salad. Gelato was also there but at a cost.
In the past, I haven't found any cocktail specials on Princess. However now we
discovered happy hour from 4-6, where certain cocktails are half-price. I had
bought the soda card for about $36 and found it not to be worthwhile. Unless you
buy a lot of soda, it may be cheaper to buy it by the can for $2. Something for
us to consider next time.
The port reviews will follow separately. Our last day
on the ship was very rough. Water was spraying as high as deck 7 and it had all
our stomachs in knots. This was my 3rd trip on Princess and I wouldn't hesitate to choose them again. Less

Published 01/19/12

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ruby Princess Review >>

Cabin review: BAA534

too much paper is thrown in garbage. there should be more recylcing.

There is a nice beach right at the pier with lots of free lounge chairs. There are also some pools that you can use. We chose the beach. Lots of duty free shopping within walking distance. Of course, we had to check out Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Drinks and food are very expensive there. Bought some great t-shirts though.

We booked a bus tour to the French side, thru Princess. It was a long ride to get there, as the roads were under construction. The shopping was in Euros, so more expensive. However there was a touristy shop and the duty free liquor was cheaper than any of the other ports. There was ample shopping near the port, including the famous "Mr.Tablecloth".

The house was under construction and we were not allowed inside. The botanical gardens have quite a steep set of steps down and even harder climb back up. The gardens are nice but I would suggest you have a great set of knees for this trip.

Skip X