Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by Treeza

Carnival Destiny
Member Name: Treeza
Cruise Date: November 2011
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Destiny Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Will not cruise with Carnival again!
My husband and I was on this cruise for business and leisure. I am a health care provider that to re-certify I need to gain certain amounts of education in my chosen field. We receive educational credits by attending professional organizations meetings. These meetings are usually held in a hotel in a major city for several days. One of the organizations I belong to decided to have a "Learning at Sea" cruise. I thought this sounded fun, and a great way for my husband to accompany me and not be bored while I was attending the meeting. There were approximately 250 people in our group.

I upgraded to a wrap around balcony, about an extra $1000. The cabin was comfortable and roomy, although a little dated, and had plenty of storage space. I didn't intend on spending much time in there. It's the balcony that I was looking forward to. Absolutely awesome! Great views, lots of space, loungers, chairs and tables. I couldn't wait to have breakfast watching the sunrise, lunch while reading a book on a lounger, romantic dinner for two, drinks at sunset etc etc

Here comes the downer ... every day I received a note on the bed basically stating: please do not use your balcony from between x am and x pm. The shortest amount of time was 4 hours the most 8 hours. I went to guest services everyday, with basically the same complaint. I have paid extra money for the use of this balcony and now you are telling me I can't use it. Every day they apologized and said it wouldn't happen again, and of course it did. When I arrived home I wrote a letter to customer services and let them know how unhappy I was. I received an email back stating that they "we regret that you are upset" and stating that ships need to be cleaned and painted 365 days a year and it was for my own safety. I feel that if that is the case Carnival needs to have a note attached to the planning stages of your cruise to make you aware that "if you choose to rent this cabin you will only be able to use the balcony at certain hours of the day". Let's face if they did that would I have chose that cabin ....... NO!

On a couple of the days my husband and I chose to ignore the letter, at no time did anyone come near our balcony with a paint brush or a mop!

Dining. I have heard nothing but great things about cruise dining. Obviously not from anyone that had been on the Destiny. The buffet, the food looked great, but had absolutely no taste, very bland. Have you ever been to one of those $10 all you can eat buffets? I don't like those places, but the food is better than what was on offer on the cruise. We were early dining in the Universe dining room - although we were booked as "anytime" (was told they didn't see that on our booking). We were seated at a table with 2 other couples that we knew (through my organization), all had been on several cruises before, all were disappointed with the quality of the food. I was just really in a "this is really not what I had expected mode". Formal dining on this cruise was shorts and a t-shirt (as long as it had sleeves), again, not what I had expected.

Entertainment. Get in line. We went to see two comedians in the comedy club. Sat down ordered a drink, comedian was on for 20 minutes, about to order another drink, when we were told to watch the second comedian we had to leave the club and line up to re-enter. I think not! To see any of the (very short) shows, we worked it out you had to be in line for a good hour plus. I think not ...... again. The piano bar was nice, but not everyday, all evening. Karaoke, all day, all evening, every night, everywhere! Why is it that many folks with really bad voices feel the need to get to a microphone and sing - no matter if it's Karaoke time or not? Casino. Small but still a casino - I shouldn't complain too much, I won $2200 on a 2c machine! But Karaoke singers there too!

I didn't plan on going to any of the ports of call, I wanted to sit on my balcony, and use room service........ if I hadn't been asked NOT to use the balcony!

I went to the spa for a massage, it was 10 minutes shorter than it should have been, I pointed this out to the masseuse. She said it was because she was required to tell me about all of the body lotions and potions that would help with anti aging, stress relief etc. Which of course was supposed to be the educational part of my massage. Let me add, everything she was trying to sell, nothing cost less than $80. I get a massage every couple of weeks at home, I've never had an "educational lecture" as part of my massage. 60 minutes should be 60 minutes.

Overall: You could not pay me to get on board this ship again! Dirty, old, too many liars in guest services, poor entertainment, terrible food. This is the K-Mart blue light special of cruises and attracted a lot of "people cruising on the cheap". People that karaoke, all-you-can eat, and dressing in different color camouflage is living high-on-the-hog.

Publication Date: 01/18/12