Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by botango: HAL's latest

Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Nieuw Amsterdam Western Caribbean Cruises

HAL's latest

Sail Date: December 2011

After sailing the Zuiderdam earlier in the year, we just had to try a newer version of the C Class.
Liked the ship and artworks altho is was much scaled down compared to previous cruises we have taken with HAL.
I thought the atrium ran up to the Observation deck, but was mistaken. Apparently, only Royal Carib has this feature. One which we really admire.
Enfin, sailed with Capt. van Zanne before on the Amsterdam. He was very cordial and approachable, something we think is very important.
The Tamarind restaurant, and silk room, midship were a favorite with us. For the price, service, ambiance, you get 5 stars. Take note, only the N. Amsterdam and the Eurodam have this service.
General dining was so so at best, service at times slow and the food did not live up to our expectations.
Lido food, not exceptional. There was always space and staff right on the ball. I dont see the necessity for the 48 hour rule with the latex gloves to serve foods as I More observed those gloves making "the rounds" regardless.
Change rooms by the spa and gym are always a bonus on these ships, however, I think most people believe they come at a cost, which is not so.
Crafts were a limited commodity, and should be revived on sea days.
Dance classes by staff were done way to fast for enthusiastic beginners.
In fact, for those dancers on board, this cruise was terrible, dance floors were very small and the music was mediocre at best.
Stage productions were some of the lousiest I have seen yet, the upside was that there were always seats available.
My advice, if you want some peace and quiet, never cruise over the holiday season, leave that for family time and kids.
Ports of call, warm sunny, cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Cayman, Tortola, St. Maarten, San Juan, Grand Turk, and enough time to stroll around and do whatever.
If you decide to take this cruise, choose a cabin on the starboard side if you like afternoon sun and sunsets.
She is a new ship and nicely appointed, but check out my observations before plunking down your deposit. Less

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Nieuw Amsterdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade a6234

Old town is wonderful. If you like to take lots of pics, the fortress is huge and well kept. Just get back to the ship before dark.
Read 1377 San Juan Reviews

Try the Segway tour, lots of fun. Nice Malecon, walkable from the ship. Very quaint and probably my favorite port.

Be sure to take Miss Kitty tour bus. Only 20$ and a real sweetheart.
Read 502 Tortola Reviews