Carnival Victory Cruise Review by gospelle: Older ship, limited options but still plenty of fun.

gospelle
Member Since 2002
1,045 Posts

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Older ship, limited options but still plenty of fun.

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: San Juan

We stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan hotel for 1 night pre cruise. I do not recommend this hotel. The location is great but we had to wait in the lobby until past 5pm before we could get access to our room. The rooms was not up to normal Sheraton standards. The only good thing was we could walk to the ship in the morning.

Embarkation was quick and easy.

Ship is 11 years old but is in good shape for the most part. This ship does not have a steakhouse as most Carnival ships do, but there were plenty of dining options, all free of charge. Despite being an older ship wifi was available in staterooms and almost everywhere else on the ship. The downside is that the wifi was often unavailable due to "too many connections" and required multiple attempts to connect.

Activities were similar to almost every Carnival ship I've been on although this ship had more Comedy shows than usual. The piano bar is usually a hopping space on Carnival but for some reason was a ghost More town on this voyage.

We took the ship tour excursion on the sea day and were very pleased with how it went. Nice to explore the off limits parts of the ship.

Service was good with on glaring exception. On the second night at 1am I tried to call room service. It rang and rang only to finally have someone pickup the receiver and hang it up again. I called again and after many rings was again treated to someone lifting and immediately hanging up the receiver. I couldn't believe it. I called a third time and after many rings finally had someone answer only to inform me service would be 1 and a half hours!! "was that okay?" uh, no! Clearly they didn't want to work that night. This was the worst service I've ever seen on any of my 12 cruises.

Our particular stateroom 8427 was extra large and well suited for travel with kids. There was an odd lack of closet space given the size of the room however. Some minor noise from the lido deck above but nothing that could be considered annoying.

Dining room was decent but as always I find the daily song and dance routines to be overkill. This is the first cruise I've been on where I was unable to get shrimp cocktail daily in the dining room, possibly because there are no specialty restaurants onboard.

Entertainment options were average. Good shows, some bad sectors on the outdoor movie screen, a busted speaker which got annoying at times but good options for the most part.

Our teen daughter had a great time with the club O2 program.

Debarkation started rather late but went smoothly. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>