Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by UniqueNTexas: Great Holiday and Restful Vacation

UniqueNTexas
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Great Holiday and Restful Vacation

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Background Information:
This was our 10th Cruise and 6th on Carnival. We LOVE to cruise and try to cruise at least 2 to 3 times each year. We selected this cruise because we wanted to experience Holidays at Sea and we LOVED the itinerary. This was our first Mexican Riviera Cruise but it won't be our last.

Travel To Port of Embarkation:
Our flight was an hour late arriving into LAX at 2:30 PM. However, the Carnival representative was there waiting for us. That really eased our minds. She was so nice and called the bus driver to our terminal. She indicated that they had been monitoring our flight and we would not miss the cruise. Needless to say, we were thrilled!! About 10 minutes after we obtained our luggage, we were on our way to the ship.

About 30 minutes later, we arrived at the Cruise Port. The Long Beach Terminal was really pretty ans easy to navigate. We handed out luggage over to the porter immediately and headed to the terminal. I don't More think it took 10 minutes until we were on the ship. Also, our luggage arrived on board within 30 minutes. We were really shocked and TOTALLY excited!! What a way to start our cruise!!

Ship Information:
The Dream is a very nice ship. I was really expecting the worse since the fire but I was SOOO WRONG!! The ship was beautifully decorated for the Holidays. It was VERY clean and one of the better ships I've sailed. I would recommend this cruise and ship to anyone. They had both Christmas and Hanukkah activities. One night it even snowed in the Atrium and I believe Santa was there.

Activities:
We reviewed the Carnival Caper everyday and there were tons of activities. My personal favorite was the cooking class in the Steakhouse. AWESOME!! The food was SOOO good that we scheduled a night to dine there.

Service:
The ship was nicely laid out. I don't think we ever stood in lines too long. The only exception being if you were getting the Stir Fry. There's just no way to mass produce those meals. Also, the tables were nicely spaced out and the staff was quick to clean them. So, seating was only a slight problem during sea days.

Port & Shore Excursions:
We visited Cabo San Lucas and Puerta Vallarta during this trip. We did not want to take any cruise line shore excursions during this trip. So, we walked off the ship and headed to see the local sites.

Weather - This isn't a normal area but I think others should know. It was cool the first and last sea day. So, be prepared with long pants. However, once you got to Cabo, you could pull out the shorts.

Stateroom:
We had an Ocean Suite. It was pretty typically for an Ocean Suite. The balcony was a nice size and we had plenty of space. The only thing I notice was one closet with shelving versus being totally open. At first I wasn't sure about the configuration. However, once I started unpacking, I LOVED IT!!! Our room was centrally located and we could easily get to any part of the ship quickly.

Dining:
We had top notch Dinning Room Staff. Fir the first time, we had a table for two. We normally like to meet people and get a larger table. I was concerned that we would get lost in the crowd since there were so many larger parties. I was SOOO wrong!!

These guys took the time to get to know use and remember our names. Sometimes, I think they knew us soo well that they could order our food. Our head waiter, John, provided excellent recommendations and the Team Members (Ali and Justin Bieber, Jr??) were so much fun!! We were always entertained and had great meals. Did I mention that the service was better than I've experience in some 5 star restaurants? Kudos to you guys!!

Entertainment:
This was the Best Carnival Entertainment ever!!! Cayle had an outstanding voice she could dance!!! Heck, our cruise director, Tim, could sing too!! I was TOTALLY shocked and surprised when he got out there and sang!!! The talent on this ship was UNBELIEVEABLE!! What an AWESOME surprise!!

Summary:
The Splendor was an AWESOME ship and this was a great experience. I think people have reservations about cruising her because of the first. The staff was so aware of these concerns and eased every one's mind. They've taken the necessary precautions and I don't foresee any concerns. Based on my experience, I would HIGHLY recommend the Carnival Splendor for everyone!! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Suite Empress 7322

Cabo San Lucas - We were REALLY lucky because when we arrived, the famous rock was on our side of the ship!! What a thrill!! The beach looked so serene and beautiful. Although, we did not take another boat to swim there, we could see how peaceful and wonderful it was. What an added surprise. We tendered at this port. Since we did not have a cruise ship sponsored excursion, we had to wait to tender out. The lines were too bad that morning. It took use about 1 hour from the time we obtained our tender tickets until we landed on the port. The port was very easy to navigate and we walked around all day. We ventured into some local establishments and had a nice time. The local items were a bit expensive but we had fun!!

Puerta Vallarta This was a great port and the local items were very reasonable. We took a taxi into town and walked around all day. We saw the gentlemen making the last supper on the beach. I was in TOTAL AMAZEMENT!! It's definitely a must see. We walked around for hours and had lunch at Senior Frogs. It was nice to walk around and have fun. When we returned to the ship, we had an offer to take a taxi to other parts of the city. However, I should have looked for them before we left the ship area. That way, I could have taken the tours that included the downtown visit. (These our outside and across the small street from the terminal area. Prices ranged from $25 - $30 per person).