Ship (Dawn) was a dump..
1. Cabin - broken fixtures in the tub and sink, cabin service was very spotty - soap / toilet paper would run out without being refilled. Size - was OK - Jr. Suite. Toilet room smelled of urine constantly.
2. Food on board - garbage except for Cagney's the steakhouse ($25 / head) at least it looked like they cooked it fresh. AVOID Bamboo...three hour dinner for basically "Pick Up Stix" quality. Looked like much of it came out of a box from Costco. 4 hours after eating, roommate got severe nausea and vomited all night followed by diarrhea.
Breakfast buffet was fine - I'm not the buffet type, however after that meal - food deteriorated until after 10:00 when it was pretty much was left to stale leftovers, bad selection, and potentially sitting out all day. Not great.
Dining rooms were poor - same thing on the menu most nights. Poorly dressed people in flip-flops and tank tops - no water refills.
3. Service/crew - the worst upsellers I have ever experienced. The only time the crew staff was nice was when they were upselling crap. It was terrible - the cruise bill was the worst I have ever had due to everything costing more. Not sunny dispositions - generally boring. Pool/towel attendant was a joke - should be fired. Never smiled - even when they ran out of pool towels on multiple days of the cruise. Was just rude.
The strangest muster drill I have ever experienced. Crew made us stand outside in a line 10 people deep - shoulder to shoulder to simulate the life boat experience - while they translated the muster drill and life vest instructions in 7 languages...took about 20 mins - very uncomfortable and definitely nothing I have ever experienced.
4. Pool - horrible - only one jammed with about 200 children. Pool showers never worked all week - meaning nobody could shower before or after they left the salt-water pool.
5. Spa - very cheap. Robes were tattered and stained - literally almost uncomfortable to wear. Female staff walking in and out of the mens changing/locker room and laughing. Showers were "fee-based". You had to pay to use them or any of the sauna/steam rooms.
More stupid stuff...allowed glass bottles around the pool - so of course, somebody broke a bottle in the pool and they closed it all day.
Used duct tape on many signs in the main foyer to cover up rooms that were no longer open / just really looked cheap.
There wasn't a single living plant on the ship - just dusty silk/plastic ones. Looked really cheap as well.
If you want cheap/casual - go on Carnival. NCL is not an option I would ever consider again.