Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by calenita: New Years on the Summit

New Years on the Summit

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Our cruise was the last on the Summit before she went into drydock so I know there will be many changes ahead, but we enjoyed the ship and the ports a lot.
We flew into San Juan early because we did not want to take any chances with winter weather. Stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan and spent the day touring Old San Juan. It was nice to have a full day in San Juan before the cruise. We walked the streets and went to both the forts. Lunch was in a cafe in Old San Juan frequented by lots of locals. The Sheraton was a great location for a pre-cruise hotel. There is a CVS right by the hotel where you can pick up anything you forgot for the trip.
Embarkation was smooth. The Sheraton let us keep the room till noon and then we took a taxi over to the cruise ship. There were few people in line to check in so we were on the ship quickly and went to use a lounge chair by the pool till the rooms were ready. The rooms were ready at 1 p.m. We had lunch at the AquaSpa Cafe which was a More great place for a nice light healthy lunch. They would make Salmon for you on the grill and it was the best.
Our room was ok. My husband thought it was bigger than other rooms we have had on ships, but they all seem crowded to me. Wall mirrors on one wall which is always a bit freaky. The balcony had room for two chairs and a table. Bathroom small, but they usually are on cruise ships. Having two bathrobes in the room was nice. No pool towels in the room was a bit weird. The only place to get them was by the pool - even on port days when you wanted to go to the beach. You had to go to Deck 10 to get towels then down to Deck 1 to disembark. Strange.
The food was very good on the Summit. We ate in the Cosmopolitan each night (the main dining room). Our waiter and assistant were good - especially the assistant. The Creme Brulee was to die for. French Onion Soup way too salty and the steak was always overcooked. Lobster was half a lobster. No offers of more. The kids really enjoyed the breakfast in the buffet with waffles. Great whipped cream. I liked the Eggs Benedict there. They also offered a full English breakfast for those who like blood sausage. :) In the afternoon they had tea sandwiches, scones and squares or cookies from 4-5 in the buffet which was nice. Loved the hot milk in the morning with my coffee. (You get the hot milk in the buffet line.) Great free pastries in the Cova Cafe on Deck 4 - or was it Deck 5? The fruit tarts and lemon tarts in the buffet and the Cova Cafe were wonderful. Hamburgers, fries and hot dogs always available by the pool during the day too.
The thalassotherapy pool was great. Relaxing and warmer than the outside pools. The jets on your shoulders felt like a great massage. Went to the gym a couple of times and it was always crowded - not sure why. The walking track was nice in the morning.
My son went to the kids club a few times. Sometimes no one showed up, so I think most kids spent more time with their families. Also this is a very port intensive cruise with only one sea day, so that may have affected things.
The shows were good at night. There is also the option of a movie theatre showing movies which recently came out on DVD. Loved the comedian. He was just so funny and was clean which was nice for a family cruise. The magician was ok. I liked the music/dancing/acrobats but my family were less enthused. The acrobats - from France - were wonderful and amazing all agreed.
I didn't like the ships shopping area much. Usually I find something on the ship but this time the shops just felt weird to me. The big push on ship were yellow emeralds from Brazil - the next big thing according to the sales staff. We'll see. Don't know how great the deals were. We bought two t-shirts and that was it.
I always enjoy the library and this one looks attractive but has the weirdest books you have ever heard of. It is also right in the middle of the ship, so not a nice place to sit and read and watch the waves. A small rack had exchange books. Library was always open and unlocked.
Ports -
Barbados - We took a taxi to Accra Beach. Just the right amount of waves. Lots of opportunity to buy food there too. Beach chairs and umbrellas for rent. Our taxi driver dropped us off and came back promptly at 3 p.m. when we asked him to.
Grenada - Took a water taxi to Grand Anse beach. Food, beach chairs all available. Snorkeling was pretty minimal. Lots of vendors in the craft area. Good deals on spices.
Dominica - Took a tour with Nature Isle Explorer and it was great. Went to snorkel at Champagne Reef, through TiTou Gorge from Pirates of the Caribbean and then to Screw Spa which is a natural sulfur spa. We docked at the commercial port which was weird but I don't think the port is very developed here.
St. Kitts - Went to Brimstone Hill Fortress which was fantastic. We only wanted to go to the fortress but our taxi driver took us some other places too. Saw where Thomas Jefferson's great-grandfather was buried. I liked the town here. Walking from the ship is easy to the shopping area beyond the port. This had more of a British look about it than Barbados did - just the architecture of the town and the square etc.
St. Croix - Just walked to the beach from the ship, swam, snorkeled - looked for seahorses which are supposed to be there but did not find them - and back to the ship. The ship docks in a small town and to get to the bigger one is a taxi or shuttle at about $17 a person.

On our return to San Juan we did not get off the ship till 10:30 but they kick you out of the room at 8 and quit serving breakfast at 8:30. Why not at least keep serving breakfast till later or let you stay in the room later? We went to the games room. Pastries were available at the CovaCafe till about 9:30. You had to pay for the gourmet coffee though.
Stayed at the Embassy Suites after the cruise. The hotel was full of college kids there for winter swim training so it had a bit of a spring break feel to it. Especially at breakfast with a 45 minute wait in line for food. The hotel is a 5 minute walk to a nice beach. The hotel provides towels, umbrellas and chairs at the beach for free. Great pool at the hotel. Liked Mi Casita restaurant near hotel for Puerto Rican food.
I would go on the Summit again on this itinerary and really enjoyed San Juan. The ship was in need of some TLC, but to be honest, so were both the hotels we stayed at and I don't think they are going in for drydock. The only thing I really did not like was our blanket on the ship was very worn looking, which should have been changed before it got to that point. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Vista Deck (7) 7121

The cabin seemed small to me but my husband liked it better than others we have been on. Balcony is small and overlooks lifeboats. It holds two chairs and a small table. One wall in the cabin is covered in mirrors which is sort of freaky, but once again, cruise ship style. The location is very good. Close to stairs and elevator but not too close. Also a good spot on Deck 7 because you are a few decks below the pools and buffet at Deck 10 and a few decks above the dining room.

Went to Accra Beach. About 15 per person for the round trip taxi fare. Nice beach. Lots of food vendors there, chairs available for rent and umbrellas. Felt very safe. There were also beach vendors in kiosks there where you could buy shirts and things. Back at the port were several shops with jewelry, t-shirts, clothing etc.
Read 703 Barbados Reviews

Island tour

(5)
This was a great day. We booked a tour with Nature Isle Explorers and it was great. Went snorkeling on Champagne Reef which was incredible... like being in a giant fish tank. Then to TiTou Gorge where Pirates of the Caribbean 2 was filmed. Cold water but lots of fun. Drove through the mountains to get there. Great views. Saw Trafalgar Falls and then to Screw Spa where we soaked in sulfur baths - loved it. Highly recommend Donaldson and this tour. Bought some sulfur soap at the port to take home. Great for the skin.

Went by water taxi to Grand Anse beach. We turned left when we got off the water taxi - should have turned right and kept walking past all the folks. If you keep walking you get to where the public beach is with lifeguards. Less crowded there. Nice beach. Warm water. A craft market there has a lot of stuff including spices and t-shirts etc. Small port shopping area inside as well. A fort right at the port overhangs on the hill.
Read 356 Grenada Reviews

I had heard this was a more dangerous stop and the visitor people do warn you not to go to isolated areas which is a shame. The only stop the cruise also warned us to watch our stuff. That said, where we stopped at the small town there were police everywhere. We walked around and went swimming at a beach right by the port. Rainbow Beach is supposed to be nice there for snorkeling but the road was closed that day because it was a holiday and there was a big parade.

I liked St. Kitts. The downtown is attractive in a very British way. Lots of high end shopping duty free by the port. We wanted to go to Brimstone Hill Fortress and although the taxi guys wanted us to do a full tour, one took us to Brimstone - with other stops on the way and LOTS of info. He was proud of his island which is great. Brimstone is amazing. High on a hill - can't imagine the labour to build it. The kids liked it better than El Morro in San Juan. I bought some jewelry in St. Kitts too - all at the best prices of course! LOL.