Disney Wonder Cruise Review by SgtBrian

Cruise Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 11A
See More About: Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Wonder Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Wonder Deck Plans
Great 25th Anniversary on the Wonder
I told my lovely wife that no matter what we were going to do something big for our 25th wedding anniversary. After much research and prompting from my boss who is hooked on cruises I decided we would go on a Disney Cruise. I decided on Disney because I enjoy Disneyland and appreciate the quality that they deliver in their resorts and hotels. I figured that since I do not drink or smoke or gamble that it would be nice to go on a cruise line that didn't focus on these activities. Also as parents of 6 children we love kids and aren't disturbed by having them around.

We were concerned about several factors. 1) What if we got seasick? 2) What about security when we were in the ports? 3)Would we enjoy being on the ship for 7 days? and, I admit now in hindsight that this is really silly, 4) Would it be miserable to sit at dinner with 3 other couples that I have never met before and have to socialize with? First off, we NEVER got even queasy let alone seasick. There was one lady at our table that struggled with seasickness but it seemed to be rare. We didn't take any medication and really enjoyed the best sleep I've had in a long time. Port Security- Wow! what a surprise, felt very safe and the people we met were wonderful. Then again we didn't go out of our way to be victimized; we weren't drunk, didn't try to find vice, and we stayed in public areas. Shipboard activities- We loved the shows, movies, cooking classes, quizzes, and presentations that were available. We also liked looking at the ocean, walking the deck and sitting in a lounge with a virgin drink or just spending some alone time. We never felt like we were on a "kiddie cruise" and now for the dining. I am not the most social of people but I really liked the three other couples at our table and looked forward to talking to them each evening. One couple was fairly well to do, frequent cruisers and wine connoisseurs, another couple were middle class and on their second cruise and finally there was a single lady with her young daughter. We loved them all and I was amazed at how quickly we became almost like family.

The highlight of the trip was snorkeling in Puerto vallarta and scuba in Cabo. I was afraid the shore excursions might be very slip-shod operations but they were state of the art and very professional. We went with Vallarta Adventures and Cabo Adventures. I will have to say that the last day sailing was shy on shipboard activities, it was raining and cold so swimming was out, walking wasn't pleasant and I was about to feel bored when I saw that Toy Story was just starting on the jumbo tron so I grabbed a free soda, a plate of fruit, cheese and sandwiches, sat at a table out of the rain and had a nice afternoon of 10-15 foot waves.

I can't wait to go on another cruise, I just wonder if Disney has spoiled me and I won't be happy now on any other ship.

Publication Date: 01/14/12