Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Southwoods: Not so New the Nieuw Amsterdam

Compare Prices on Nieuw Amsterdam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Not so New the Nieuw Amsterdam

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Other

Service was good in dining rooms, lounges and stateroom.

The food was excellent, and the selections numerous. Holland American rarely disappoints me in this department.

Our Superior Suite was nicely placed toward AFT, but I must remember to avoid Port side. Too many smokers on this cruise. And I thought HAL had initiated a ban on verandah smoking starting the first of the year? Our neighbors were chimneys!

Our stateroom was roomy and our verandah, as well. I would have liked two loungers rather than a two plastic wicker chairs with ottomans.

Our bathroom was large, double sinks, and whirlpool tub and shower separate. The closet space was adequate. I filled all the drawers, nooks and closets!

The entertainment was usual. Good singing and dancing. To change up the venue, one night was a magician who was quite entertaining. A comedian/magician. "Diamond" is his last name. Very good show. I had hoped another type of entertaiment would More have been presented. HAL has always been good about giving excellent variety in the nighttime shows.

The Captains luncheon was nice. The collector tiles were not placed on the tables as have been in the past, and when we exited the dining room I did not see them anywhere. A couple days later I inquired at the information desk and was told they were set on a table for everyone to take. Didn't see it, nor were we pointed toward "this special" table to take our tiles. The information clerk was nice enough to find two for us to have.

Usually we receive a discount booklet, but none came to our stateroom.

For the first two days staff served us all our food and drinks in the Lido dining area. Just a precaution to make sure we do not get that cruise bug.

We were surprised to see how worn and motley the carpets appeared, especially at the base of every staircase. Some of the display tables in the stores were in poor condition, also, with chipped veneer. And there was even rubbed off graffiti on our stateroom wall. Just wasn't expecting to see this on a ship still so new.

We took one excursion on Grand Cayman. The Turtle Farm one, and it was nice. Our tour guide spoke with a very thick accent and rambled quickly. We understood very little what he said.

We just walked the cruise port at Falmouth, Jamaica. A lovely port where the people were very happy to sell us. All smiles. I was most impressed that they all lined up at the pier to wave goodbye to the ship. A very welcoming place that we will definitely return to!

The ship sailed smoothly through rough waters. The captain cancelled our stop off at Half Moon Cay at the start of the cruise. Very disappointed, but it was a safety issue with the rough seas. We have been to three Cruise Cays during our cruising years: Half Moon Cay, Princess Cay, and Coco Cay. Half Moon Cay is by far the best one - cleanest beaches, and stonefree shorelines.

There was plenty of activity on the ship for all ages, but were disappointed that there were only two chances to play bingo.

Embarkation procedure was a little slow, but the disembarkation went very fast and smooth. A nice ending to a short cruise. Less

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Nieuw Amsterdam Superior Verandah Suite Verandah 7078

Superior Suite - AFT Port - Nieuw Amsterdam Three closets at the entrance hall opposite the bathroom door. That configuration is always awkward. But in our stateroom the hall wasn't as narrow. In the bathroom, the mirrors were flat against the wall, where they could not be adjusted to see the back of the head. Two sinks, widely separated was a nice feature, as well as the separate shower from the whirlpool tub. Plenty of cabinet drawers, but the TV was positioned on the window wall desk, where we had to sit in bed with our heads turned to the left to see. Very uncomfortable, where we went to bed with a creek in our necks each night. Plastic wicker chairs with matching ottomans on the nicely sized verandah, and a small table for two with two chairs. The chairs all came with cushions but they were not very thick. Neighbors were smoking on their verandahs, which I thought Holland American had banned starting January 2012. We could hear the poolside action with being only two floors down, on the Rotterdam deck.

(3)
The tour guide could have spoken slower since his accent was very thick. I was not impressed with the rum cake factury (it was just a store of packaged rum cakes, no bakery, as I expected). HELL was equally disappointing. Just a rundown store. The turtle farm was the highlight and it was a nice place to walk around viewing the different pools of turtles. Nicely landscaped.
Read 1069 Reviews

The cruise port was very nice, constructed out of brick with a British flare. Clean and pretty with all the typical stores. Everyone was very friendly. Men on stilts would stop and talk to children and give them balloons. The mood of the place was very happy.
Read 494 Falmouth Reviews