“Bigger is better?”
Cruise review of Emerald Princess

botango Emerald Princess 3 Bigger is better?
botango
Member Since 2007
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
The Emerald Princess is fairly big, 3k passengers, and subsequently the embarkation was cumbersome. I recommend boarding later rather than earlier. We were well forward on the aloha deck and found our room comfy with lots of space for clothes., the usual wet tissue test over mirrors and hung pictures indicated neglect. I know that 4 hour turn around is tight. Still.... Ship is well laid out, good music and lots of floor space for dancing. I complement the band in the Explore lounge, they actually knew strict tempo ballroom. Bonus for those of us who love the dance floor. Movies under the stars, is a good idea, altho we never found time to partake. Atrium is only 3 floors on this ship, I recommend Royal Caribbeans! atrium here which goes all the way up to 11. that is impressive.! Floor shows in the main theatre were excellent, some of the best we've seen in 14 cruises. Unfortunately, it only seats 700, and unless you are willing to look at sparkly curtains for 45 minutes, no seats available by showtime.. For a ship this size, the gym was too small, as was the sauna/steam and change rooms. Attention should be made for more cleanliness in public areas. Our ports of call, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados,,St. Thomas, all very nice. I would advise, to do your own thing and NOT take a ship tour. Most ports had open bus tours for $20, including drinks. Food services/quality were good, but not exceptional. Lido dining was usually overcrowded. Seems to me, there has been a general cutback in staff. The specialty dining, which we tried twice was good for the value. (20$) Altho, I liked the wine bar, ( 40$ for a good vino) with complimentary sushi, in my opinion it was overpriced, with stingy servings (of sushi.) Here I would add the servers were very nonchalant. They were lousy! On holiday, one shouldn't have to to keep looking over ones shoulder for another plate of hors d'oeuvres. Disembarkation in Port Everglades, smooth. Overall rating, about low 7 on 10. Would I cruise this class of ship again? No.... Not until she fits through the new Panama canal locks.
Emerald Princess Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Emerald Princess Review
Emerald Princess Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?