Ventura Cruise Review by Kagi: P&O Ventura; Caribbean 14 nights 16 Dec

Member Since 2008

P&O Ventura; Caribbean 14 nights 16 Dec

Sail Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Barbados

Bonded luggage: check your cases in at Manchester and the next time you see them is in your cabin! Coach straight from plane to ship, short queue (water available) to get key card and map of ship. Then go out: couldn't believe the size of Ventura when we first saw her.., wow! - In all the ports I had a great proud 'my ship's bigger than your ship' feeling!
Get on board, hunt out your cabin, where there'll be instructions where to eat on the first night -no dress restrictions as they understand you may not get your cases in time.
To avoid getting lost in the early days we used the two same decks 7 & 15 to get around and kept to the starboard side, where our cabin was. This helped a lot!
TIP: all the lifts face forward. Plus the carpet is a different colour in each section (Forward, Mid and Aft).
We found the booze in the bars and restaurants quite reasonable.
Booze for your cabin and cigs (inc B&H) very reasonable; purchased at the shop on board.
Smoking More permitted on Deck 7 starboard side (where the Arena, Ramblas bar, Tamarind Bar and Havana nightclub is); only a few steps away, loads of chairs and you can take your drink, so very easy. Also smoking is starboard side on the open deck 15.
I found it hard going with all the stuff to do -- when do you fit in time to sleep?!
For all those with anti-social husbands, mine surprisingly loved every minute of it!
No-one bothers with the taking time to get to know you thing; everyone just wades straight in, so you instantly have lots of new friends, though, we found it strange that no-one introduced themselves - we asked names when we met again!
I did a few laps of deck 7 (outside) at about 7am, as the gym annoyingly didn't open until 8am. Deck 7 makes a nice walk too.
Loungers at busy areas do get taken early, but we were happier out of the way on the high decks -do go looking round from one end of the ship to the other to choose your preferred location. We liked the area round the spa pool with Jacuzzi's as it was quieter. Pool towels provided in cabin.
One day I got a workout moving my sunbed round as the ship appeared to keep changing direction interfering with my sun! The next day we discovered the cheeky captain, Charlie Carr from Wigan, had gone in the shape of a Xmas tree! You could see this on the map on the telly!
I'm very pleased that on the last day we got a 'Cruise Log', summary of the entire trip as I was dying to know how many miles we'd done.

Rather than Freedom dining (if you go at a busy time they give you a pager for when a spot becomes available) we decided on the more formal dining and chose 1st sitting 18:30 at the time of booking. NB. 2nd sitting was 20:30 I'd have still been too full for breakfast the next day, plus, we like a drink in the evening! We were in the Bay Tree, which had a slightly more formal feel than the Saffron (though it's the same two sitting affair). You sit with the same folk each night, so it's good to request a large table so that you'll hopefully have some good couples to chat with. We had plenty of time to have the four courses and a bottle of wine.., though if you don't finish the wine they keep it for you for the next day - fat chance of that happening with us! We'd then dash to the opposite end of the ship (5 mins max) to catch the first show 20:30 at the Arena (which is reminiscent of a picture house). This show repeated at 22:30.
We ate at East and The White Room on a few occasions (cover charge applies), both were excellent. I used the 'Cruise Overview' in the cabin to plan which nights and rang the restaurants on the first night to make our reservations. We managed to get into The White Room again near the end of the cruise, so it's always worth a call to see what availability they have left.
You can take breakfast where you like; we found a lot of folk went to the Bay Tree (waiter service) even though they weren't eating there at night. You're put on a large table, first come basis, so you get to mix with a variety of different couples. We went early. There's quite a selection for breakfast. If you don't get enough - ask for more!
TIP: Use room service (mostly free): we used if we were going onshore early for a trip. Order via your telly, food delivered promptly. We took some plastic bags to take leftovers with us/keep in the fridge for when we returned. Or, go for Afternoon tea on deck 15 for sarnies etc from 3pm (very tasty!). Hygiene I noted is paramount and quite sensible when you think about it. Use the hand wash dispensers.

There was a good looking young opera type singer Victor Michael in the Arena who was funny and got everyone involved. So I was looking forward to even better acts as we approached Xmas, but unfortunately, for my taste anyway, this didn't happen. I think I was expecting more quality acts, or perhaps they were aimed at the older generation. The acts etc in the Tamarind were the same, so it was then that we began to appreciate the Metropolis Lounge on deck 18; good to sit chatting with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot (very reasonably priced at £37).
It was nice to see that the majority of people dressed up for the black tie nights. Show off your outfits at the Captains Welcome evening, where there's complimentary drinks for an hour. Now that was the start of a good night!
P&O onshore trips were very expensive, but we did the few you shouldn't miss, which were very good. On some islands, there are dedicated taxi's to take you to the usual spots. They've been doing this for years man, so there's no need to worry. For example, a couple who shared a cab to a beach with us in St. Vincent left his wallet in the taxi with £400 in. We thought we'd never see the driver again! No problem, he was even early!
I was desperate to wave a tacky plastic Union Jack flag. These were finally given out at the Sail Away party from St Lucia. After their morning trips, most passengers spent the afternoon on the grass near the ship in the Rum Bar, so we were pretty popped up! I had a fabulous time!

We received a couple of upgrades and ended up in an outside cabin P245 on deck 5 forward. These have a large window and although I didn't know it beforehand (first cruise), really appreciated the outside cabin as we could see the waves and I like to wake up early in the morning, so enjoyed the natural light. We didn't close the curtains! It was great to kneel on the bed and look out as we pulled into a new port. Cabin P245 was perfect for us; near to the forward lifts in a large hallway (rather than down a corridor) and next to the gallery. Very quiet.
In the first hour aboard, my equilibrium was a little off, but as I didn't have my seasickness pills (we didn't have our cases at that time, so consider keeping them in your hand luggage), I had a couple of Mojito's as I heard mint (and also ginger) are natural seasickness remedies. Didn't suffer again and infact loved the way the gentle movement of the ship the ship lulls you to sleep, very comforting! There's loads of hanging space for all of your posh dresses!

Service in all the restaurants and the bars (on deck 7) was excellent. We didn't really frequent deck 6 (where the pub and casino is). We heard a few people moaning about service, but found that as we were polite, we received excellent service. A smile goes a long way!
I didn't think we'd use the cabin steward much but on the few occasions we asked for ice or a shoeshine kit etc, Umesh went out of his way to assist, and with the biggest of smiles. Being from Yorkshire, we aren't the most generous natured, but I parted with my tips quite happily! (P&O recommend that for 2 passengers on a 2week cruise its: £42 for the Cabin Steward, and £44 for two waiters). Less

Read more Ventura cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ventura Review >>

Cabin review: Ventura Outside Twin with Shower P Deck P245

Our outside cabin P245 on deck 5 forward. These have a large window and although I didn't know it beforehand (first cruise), really appreciated the outside cabin as we could see the waves and I like to wake up early in the morning, so enjoyed the natural light. We didn't close the curtains! It was great to kneel on the bed and look out as we pulled into a new port. Cabin P245 was perfect for us; near to the forward lifts in a large hallway (rather than down a corridor) and next to the gallery. Very quiet. There's loads of hanging space in these cabins for all of your posh dresses!

(5)
We had a walk around the small town (right in front of the ship) before going on our (expensive) P&O trip. Our driver "Useless" who took us to the scenic railway by minibus was great fun. Your bus is numbered and allocated to the matching carriage number. There is plenty of room for everyone on the open upper deck (lower deck air con), so let the others push their way on! The double-decker railcars follow the old sugar cane train tracks, with views of the Caribbean Sea and mountains. Everyone comes out to wave to the train! I had read on the website that the Pina Colada is not to be missed and even though I don't like them usually, will vouch for them! Delicious and strong!
Read 1069 Reviews

Taxi's and Mini busses available to take passengers to the beach: we went to Long Beach on the East coast, which was very nice. Sea and sand lovely. Had a bucket of beer on the beach. Agree a time for the driver to come back and pick you all up. Easy, no problems.
Read 808 Antigua Reviews

We had a quick walk round the town (which is right in front of the ship) before we went on our trip to the St Kitts Scenic Railway (billed as being only available via P&O) is a good way to get to know the island quickly. The double-decker railcars follow the old sugar cane train tracks, offering views of the Caribbean Sea and mountains.

As one website review suggested it's a long drive, we did the (expensive) P&O Catamaran to see the Pitons, calling into the attractive bay of Marigot on the way for a looksee. On the way back there was a lot of rum punch - I found this quite nice when mixed half and half with sprite! Rather than a walk round to the town (Bank Holiday not much open), we hit The Rum Bar near the ship, which appeared to be where most passengers and the catamaran crew were, sat outside at tables or on the grass enjoying the music, the beer/punch and the sun! A fabulous afternoon was had by all!

It's an easy walk round to your left to the beach (or get a water taxi). The sea and sand is lovely. The shopping area is is very nice. There's a Hard Rock Cafe - very friendly staff. St Martin is famous for 'Ride the fence' at the airport - check website video's!

Per website reviews I was interested in going to Baleine Bay and the waterfalls there, however, following a landslide, it's unfortunately 'closed'. Taxi's and boats take you to Villa beach, however, as our new friends had been there before and suggested there wasn't much beach, we asked tourist information and headed off via taxi to Catell Beach. We were a bit worried when we got there as there as it's completely undeveloped; just one makeshift bar to get a local beer from. No loungers. However, we did have the place to ourselves, apart from a local family with loads of bonny kids that came for an hour or so. It's a pretty bay with rocky sides. The sand is darker here, but very pleasant and the sea is lovely. We did a bit of snorkelling and it's some of the best snorkelling we've experienced! Excellent variety of fish and corals.

As you get off the ship, there are dedicated taxi vans to take passengers to Cane Garden Bay beach on the other side of the island, over the steep hill. They'll bring you back when you want, as they more or less just run between the ship and the beach. It was a bit grey and we had the odd downpour, but still got a tan. The sea was lovely and filled with feeding pelicans, which were fabulous to watch.
Read 502 Tortola Reviews