Carnival Pride Cruise Review by pweath: Seasoned cruiser on a Christmas Cruise close to home.

pweath
Member Since 2010

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

Seasoned cruiser on a Christmas Cruise close to home.

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

As a seasoned cruiser, I have been on Regent Seven seas, Holland America, NCL, Costa, Royal Caribbean, Homelines, Carnival before, celebrity and mostly Princess; 20 cruises in all. I love Holland America but can usually get a balcony cheaper on Princess because they have bigger ships with more balconies. So I am happy to report I have been spoiled by cruising.
My husband and I decided to take the Christmas cruise because we can afford to be away easily during the holiday week. We are so blessed now to have a cruise terminal in Baltimore, so we booked the Pride. I was so surprised that the ship is similar to the Crown, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald of Princess. We decided to book an aft balcony cabin. We had been upgraded to one years ago and really enjoyed it. The one before was three times the size of ours on the Pride, but it was big enough. A great choice. Just know that 5297 and 5299 are regular size balconies, just off the back of the ship.
We were concerned about More all the children that were to be on board. I found out later that there were 700, we never saw them after the first day. Carnival does a great job keeping them occupied.
Loved our cabin and it's location. The food in the diningroom was great but some nights there was nothing on the menu I cared for. We have always looked to the Lido to save us if we feel this way, but on the Pride, the hot food served on the Lido deck is the same as the diningroom. You do have the pizza cafe, the salad bar or the grill if you want a burger but was disappointed that we did not have more choices.
The first formal night we went to David's Steakhouse. The food and the service was excellent BUT they would not allow us to bring our left over steak back to our cabin to be eaten the next day. It had to be disposed of. Remember this so that you do not over order. It was a shame. However, I checked my refrigerator back in the cabin and found out that it did not keep things very cold. So I see theri point, however, I would like them to change this policy and give us mini frigs to hold our left overs. We also paid $30 each extra, so we felt we should be able to take our leftovers.
My husband and I are not big entertainment people. We like to read, gamble and turn in early. The casino was the best I have ever experienced on the high seas. I had a wonderful time. The servers in the casino are attentive and learn your name quickly.
Cabin steward was ok. I liked my towel surprises but he forgot lots of things like no glasses the first day with a full ice bucket. The cabin did not have a book that had info about the spa, etc. We requested one but it never appeared. He forgot to leave a breakfast menu twice and one time I made one up on a scrap of paper. His helpers were wonderful.Room service was awesome.
I did not think the people in the stores were very friendly. The ship had sent our a picture of the tee shirts that they were selling. I wanted two specifically. I went to the store and looked around but could not find the two designs advertised. When I asked about them, the young man told me I had to come back each day to see which ones they put out. He was so nasty. I did go back every day but I did not want to because I did not want to be treated that way again. The people in the jewelry store ignored you. They hung together talking and when you asked to see something in the case, they seemed annoyed. If you did not buy what you looked at the first day, they would hound you when you came in later about what you looked at before. Kept me from buying alot, so I saved money.
Other than these examples, the staff on board was top knotch. The service, food and ship itself was as good as all of he other cruise lines I have taken in the past, including Regent. I was just on that cruise in November. We did not take excursions, so I cannot discuss them but in most cases, we walk off the ship and find something to do ourselves unless we are far from what we want to see and have to book an excursion to get there.
Would I take this ship again, YOU BET!! It is in my back yard and the prices other than during the holidays are excellent. I now know the ship well and will be right at home when I return. I plan to do so soon. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Upper 5297

Cabin 5297, aft balcony. The cabin itself was large. We opted for our beds to be together and it is a king not a queen. We also had a sofa and table in the cabin. Closet had plenty of space. Bathroom usual size. Balcony view is awesome. The balcony itself was regular size but the balcony to our left was huge. Conditioning Shampoo was lemon and my hair was wonderful. It is in a dispenser on the wall along with the shower gel. You are given French soap or the wash basin and the shower. Towels are large and soft. Bedding was very nice with duvet comforters. Small frig, does not keep things very cold, but stocked with sodas and miniatures that you can use and be billed for. I was over billed for an additional bottle of water but I was not going to stand in line to get a credit for $4.54.

Freeport has certainly changed over the years. There is a sweet shopping area right off the ship. Lots of things to look at, can catch lunch if you want and not be far from the ship or you can take the excursions to Lucaya which has up scale shops, a casino and restaurants. You can also go to the international market and the casino there. This is not offered by the ships any longer. We opted to just stay at the ship shopping area and that was fine and Free!
Read 781 Freeport Reviews

Love, Love, Love, Nassau. You just walk off the ship, up one block to Bay Street and you have great shopping, The Athena Restaurant which is wonderful and plenty of entertainment watching the people. Down Bay street to your right several blocks is the straw market. But you will see the same things in the ships terminal shops with less pressure. To the left on Bay street, are the government buildings and if you are energetic, you can walk to the Paradise Island bridge.
Read 2666 Nassau Reviews

This port is for the Disney lovers because most of the excursions are to Disney. I would have preferred Charleston South Carolina or Key West but the itinerary is good as it stands. We had a friend who is a snowbird meet us and we went to lunch.