Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by TravelingT

Nieuw Amsterdam
Member Name: TravelingT
Cruise Date: December 2011
Cabin Category: I
See More About: Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
        13-15 4.0

Ship Facts: Nieuw Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans
Some issues with service onboard.
We are veteran cruisers with several longer cruises under our belts. We have sailed on Norwegian, Carnival, Celebrity, Disney and now, Holland America.

Ship: The ship was beautiful. We had adjacent cabins on the upper verandah deck. The rooms were in fantastic shape and well laid out. Couldn't have been happier with the cabin. I loved the Crow's nest and Explorations Cafe!! Great coffee and service on Deck 11.

Cabin steward: The cabin steward was top notch. Our room was always clean but he often forgot to leave a few items that were needed, like a replacement laundry bag after we sent out the laundry and a breakfast tag for the door. Not a big deal but a slight hassle to track someone down to get another one.

Dining room: Here is where the problems start. The service in the dining room was awful. We had anytime dining and we learned that this was probably why the service was so bad. The first few nights we had a server who NEVER even smiled at us. He looked mad the entire time. This made us a bit uncomfortable. We had empty tea and water glasses most of the time and practically had to beg for tea or coffee. Not once in 15 nights did anyone in the dining room ask if we wanted refills on our coffee or tea. NOT ONCE!! We always had to remember to ask when they went whizzing by. We never saw the head waiter nor did anyone ask us if we enjoyed the meal, if everything was alright or anything.

I received a card in my room to report if there was anything that they could do to help make my cruise more enjoyable and I reported my poor experiences in the dining room. The head waiter called me in my room and we talked and he made a reservation for us for the following night. I figured since I complained, they would make extra efforts to stay on top of the service. That did not happen. The service was just as bad.

Our dinners in the specialty restaurants were a little better but not much.

Food: I always seemed to find something to eat. Of course, that is not hard on a cruise ship. The food was good I would say overall.

Room service: My teenage son must have ordered at least one cheeseburger from room service everyday and no matter how hard we tried, we could not get a plain hamburger. Out of 15 calls in 15 days, only twice did room service get the order right. We had them even repeat the order back to us to make sure they understood that it was supposed to be plain. They just kept putting mayonnaise on those burgers.

Entertainment: The shows I saw were okay but nothing out of the ordinary for a cruise ship. I really loved the cruise director and went to all the trivia contests and other "smaller" fun entertainment that J.C. put on.

Kids club: My daughter enjoyed the kids clubs and there were a lot of kids on the cruise.

Ports: We loved Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk and Roatan, I would go on a cruise that just went to those ports. I loved the beaches at these ports.

I would probably not recommend the Nieuw Amsterdam because of my experience.

Publication Date: 01/12/12