Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by ts90027: Conquest - 1/1/12 Key West, Freeport, Nassau

ts90027
Member Since 2007

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Bahamas Cruises

Conquest - 1/1/12 Key West, Freeport, Nassau

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New Orleans

This is my 7th Carnival cruise and sadly probably my last. I was very disappointed in the Conquest and I'm not a complainer however I'm going to do my best to outline some of the points we experienced in the hopes that other people can benefit from them.

Positive points
*The Monet dining room staff was very friendly. Food was good.
*Camp Carnival for our 4 year old was great when it was open - however there were big gaps of time that they were closed.
*The ship was very clean. I was very impressed by the cleanliness of the public spaces as well as how tidy our room steward kept our room.

Negative points
*In typical "Carnival" fashion you were hounded at every opportunity to buy something. I'm beginning to think that the Carnival sales strategy is to keep the cruise prices low and then make as much money as possible on various fees during the cruise itself.
*Port cancelled (Key West) due to wind. I suppose this was beyond anyone's control More however personally the wind didn't seem that bad. No attempt was made to shuffle ports and since we only had 3 ports on a 7 day cruise it was pretty disappointing.
*Security very unfriendly. The decks on the front of the ship were locked pretty much the entire 7 days (except for a few hours on 2 separate days). When we inquired security basically blew it off and said it was for safety. There was no safety concern that I could see. They also will not allow you to walk outside on Deck 4 where the muster stations are and Deck 11 & 12 were roped off several days. I couldn't figure out why they had so much outdoor space restricted. The result was people were all crowded on Deck 9 around the pool.
*Tap water (sink & shower) in our room was scalding hot. You could get no warm or cool water. The shower had a safety device on it that would lock the temp on 38C but the temperature was nowhere near 38C. It was so hot you could not take a shower and you couldn't rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth. Definitely a safety hazard.
*We had a balcony room and the use of the balcony was restricted on 2 separate days for several hours each day because of cleaning. Very disappointing not to be able to sit and read on your private balcony on a day at sea.
*On previous cruises smoking rooms were on one side of the ship only. This particular cruise we were 1 cabin downwind from a couple who chain smoked 24 hours a day on the balcony. There was very little time that you could sit on the balcony without being overwhelmed by cigarette smoke.
*Lido deck grille & restaurant was mediocre at best. There were always long lines and very little available seating.
*Embarkation lines seem to get longer and longer and it is very disorganized. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Verandah 8248

Good location, Only scalding water from both sink faucet and shower, Balcony not accessible 2 separate days because of cleaning, overwhelming cigarette smoke on balcony.

The dock at Freeport had various shops. The local shopkeepers are somewhat intimidating insisting that you come into their shop. They aren't as friendly as Mexico or other places in the Caribbean that I've been. We didn't go beyond the port itself as it was unusually cold however I'm told that Port Lucaya and other places in Freeport beyond the port are very nice.
Read 771 Freeport Reviews

Cool little town. There were 3 Carnival ships docked including ours, Disney Magic, Norwegian Gem and the Regent Seven Seas Navigator so the town itself was quite busy. We found shopping to be a please with deals to be had. The people themselves are not nearly as friendly however as other places in the Caribbean that we'v been to.
Read 2607 Nassau Reviews