Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by ts90027

Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 8D
See More About: Carnival Conquest Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        3-6 3.0

Conquest - 1/1/12 Key West, Freeport, Nassau
This is my 7th Carnival cruise and sadly probably my last. I was very disappointed in the Conquest and I'm not a complainer however I'm going to do my best to outline some of the points we experienced in the hopes that other people can benefit from them.

Positive points

*The Monet dining room staff was very friendly. Food was good.

*Camp Carnival for our 4 year old was great when it was open - however there were big gaps of time that they were closed.

*The ship was very clean. I was very impressed by the cleanliness of the public spaces as well as how tidy our room steward kept our room.

Negative points

*In typical "Carnival" fashion you were hounded at every opportunity to buy something. I'm beginning to think that the Carnival sales strategy is to keep the cruise prices low and then make as much money as possible on various fees during the cruise itself.

*Port cancelled (Key West) due to wind. I suppose this was beyond anyone's control however personally the wind didn't seem that bad. No attempt was made to shuffle ports and since we only had 3 ports on a 7 day cruise it was pretty disappointing.

*Security very unfriendly. The decks on the front of the ship were locked pretty much the entire 7 days (except for a few hours on 2 separate days). When we inquired security basically blew it off and said it was for safety. There was no safety concern that I could see. They also will not allow you to walk outside on Deck 4 where the muster stations are and Deck 11 & 12 were roped off several days. I couldn't figure out why they had so much outdoor space restricted. The result was people were all crowded on Deck 9 around the pool.

*Tap water (sink & shower) in our room was scalding hot. You could get no warm or cool water. The shower had a safety device on it that would lock the temp on 38C but the temperature was nowhere near 38C. It was so hot you could not take a shower and you couldn't rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth. Definitely a safety hazard.

*We had a balcony room and the use of the balcony was restricted on 2 separate days for several hours each day because of cleaning. Very disappointing not to be able to sit and read on your private balcony on a day at sea.

*On previous cruises smoking rooms were on one side of the ship only. This particular cruise we were 1 cabin downwind from a couple who chain smoked 24 hours a day on the balcony. There was very little time that you could sit on the balcony without being overwhelmed by cigarette smoke.

*Lido deck grille & restaurant was mediocre at best. There were always long lines and very little available seating.

*Embarkation lines seem to get longer and longer and it is very disorganized.

Publication Date: 01/12/12