Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by NY_Mom_RN: NCL Gem 7-Night NY-Bahamas

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Bahamas Cruises

NCL Gem 7-Night NY-Bahamas

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I really do not have a lot of time to write all of our experience in NCL Gem but I feel compelled to write to share good things about this cruise ship, this experience and this vacation.

First of all, we are a party of 6 adults and 2 kids (20 months and 3 years old). And all of us had fun! It was not perfect but we the pros definitely outweighed the cons.

Cons:
As soon as we got to our cabin, my husband noticed the dirty toilet seat (dried #2 in the side). We had an Indonesian guy assigned in our section. We told the steward and he corrected it right away.

My husband used the public bathroom and saw one of the employees (most likely a food server) who used the bathroom and didn't wash his hands (gross!). We told the food manager about it. (He may or may not do anything about it but at least we did our part. Hopefully, our immune system is strong enough to fight off what those dirty hands could do).

I do not like the idea that a 3-year old gets More charged the same "gratuity" fee as the adults ($12/day).

Pros:
The crew, which was 70-80% Filipinos, were very nice! We did not have any bad encounter with anyone of them even if my kids turn our tables upside down every time we finish a meal in their restaurants. My kids like to eat rice every lunch or dinner; they would provide it to us even if it was not in their menu.

We did not avail any of their kids services because my kids are not really use to being left behind to babysitters. But the arcade, lego and wii events were pretty good enough entertainment for them. I was disappointed that they did not have Dora, Diego and Sponge Bob, it was too late when I found out they were in Jewel, not Gem.

They have shows every night which we went to. I like Nadine the hypnotist, my parents like Man from Mars, my brother and husband like the comedy shows and my son loves any singing and dancing on stage. My father likes the Jamaican band in the deck and the intimate lounge singers in the cruise. So, I think our needs for entertainment have been satisfied. Is it New York's Broadway or Vegas level, probably not. But it is good enough. And we love Sinan!

Overall, we had great time. And we are already planning for our next cruise! Too bad I missed the early deposit promo! Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Great Stirrup Cay - nice white sand but cold water (my two sons got sick after staying there for 4 hours or so, the other one did not even went to the water. The weather is just too cold.) Nassau-Atlantis Paradise was great! But paying almost a hundred per person for few hours is not ideal. Its up to you to decide if its worth it or not, of course the place is magnificent!
Read 2609 Nassau Reviews

Port Canaveral-We went to Coco beach (not in the beach, just around) -waste of time and money