Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by NY_Mom_RN

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: NY_Mom_RN
Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
NCL Gem 7-Night NY-Bahamas
I really do not have a lot of time to write all of our experience in NCL Gem but I feel compelled to write to share good things about this cruise ship, this experience and this vacation.

First of all, we are a party of 6 adults and 2 kids (20 months and 3 years old). And all of us had fun! It was not perfect but we the pros definitely outweighed the cons.

Cons:

As soon as we got to our cabin, my husband noticed the dirty toilet seat (dried #2 in the side). We had an Indonesian guy assigned in our section. We told the steward and he corrected it right away.

My husband used the public bathroom and saw one of the employees (most likely a food server) who used the bathroom and didn't wash his hands (gross!). We told the food manager about it. (He may or may not do anything about it but at least we did our part. Hopefully, our immune system is strong enough to fight off what those dirty hands could do).

I do not like the idea that a 3-year old gets charged the same "gratuity" fee as the adults ($12/day).

Pros:

The crew, which was 70-80% Filipinos, were very nice! We did not have any bad encounter with anyone of them even if my kids turn our tables upside down every time we finish a meal in their restaurants. My kids like to eat rice every lunch or dinner; they would provide it to us even if it was not in their menu.

We did not avail any of their kids services because my kids are not really use to being left behind to babysitters. But the arcade, lego and wii events were pretty good enough entertainment for them. I was disappointed that they did not have Dora, Diego and Sponge Bob, it was too late when I found out they were in Jewel, not Gem.

They have shows every night which we went to. I like Nadine the hypnotist, my parents like Man from Mars, my brother and husband like the comedy shows and my son loves any singing and dancing on stage. My father likes the Jamaican band in the deck and the intimate lounge singers in the cruise. So, I think our needs for entertainment have been satisfied. Is it New York's Broadway or Vegas level, probably not. But it is good enough. And we love Sinan!

Overall, we had great time. And we are already planning for our next cruise! Too bad I missed the early deposit promo!

Publication Date: 01/12/12