Viking Prestige Cruise Review by BarbJS: Viking River Bus

Viking River Bus

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Other

My family booked this cruise to see the Christmas markets a year ago and were so excited to go. We received a email the night we flew to Nuremberg and arrived on the Prestige that because of low water in the Danube we would be bused to the different destinations and different ship and then hotel. We sort of thought this would be a good adventure and instead had the worse experience of any cruise line I have ever been on. You would have thought that Viking would have uped their game knowing this was not what people payed for but they totally dropped the ball and instead from my first experience to my last I felt they knew it was not going to be good so they just did not care .
Starting: upon arrival and throughout the cruise the public toilets had receptacles over flowing with paper towels etc...yuck.
You had to hunt down housekeeping to get shampoo etc...it was never replaced as used.
Going to the front desk with a question I was informed any problems were to be addressed More by writing customer service when we returned......really
This was the worst food service bar none. Upon arriving at lunch that was billed from 11:30 till 1 pm there were only clean places scattered thought out the dirty setting and we requested to eat together...this was a major accomplishment to get them to set 6 clean places together. The food was cold , left over and picked over and when we asked if there was anything hot we were told we should have come earlier.
I do not understand at meals why they set the whole table and then leave dirty places as people leave and you have to hunt for clean tables and clean place settings even during breakfast.
Upon busing us to the different cities we would have to eat at a local restaurant of their choice with one option> vegetarian or meat. My daughter being a vegetarian was told they had to serve everyone else before they could serve her. We waited 30 minutes for her food to arrive while we waited and ours was cold and congealed...unacceptable.
The whole dining experience was so substandard it is hard to describe the issues.
Buses were either too cold or too hot and if anyone mentioned a temperature change they were told there was nothing they could do.
In contacting Viking they told all they would give a credit toward a future cruise. I would never step on a Viking ship again and highly recommend to all my friends, family and anyone I can not to book on this cruise line.
We have been on over 10 cruises and I have never written such a bad review..most are wonderful and we have had some great experiences. I feel Viking missed the boat here. Too many issues to waste your money on. Complete lack of care by customer service Less

Read more Viking Prestige cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Prestige Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Prestige 214

Nice cabin and bathroom good location