Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by E1960

Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: C2
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

What happened to Celebrity?
The embarking day was the preview of what followed since the Seapass received did not work at all so I couldn't get into my cabin, all the passengers had to go to Guest Relations and have their Seapasses corrected, imagine that on embarking day.

Later that night we go to Trellis to our assigned table- second seating, we were a party of 3 and did not want to share a table. At time of cruise reservation this was the deal breaker, our travel agency guaranteed us a private table, so we proceed with the purchase 8 months in advance. The second night imagine our surprise, when two maitre'd came to our table and questioned our seating there, my husband was able to show them our card with the table assignment, so then they started looking for a different excuse. The real problem was, that there were family groups of more than 15 people that had been splitted into first seating and second seating, so they needed more tables in the same section of this family largest table. So one of the maitre d offers to get a private table for us, we even agreed to this, and this was a HUGE mistake, next night we were taken to our new table BY THE KITCHEN ENTRANCE!!!!. I was really mad, we couldn't even hear ourselves with the kitchen noise, one of the maitre d came and took us to a different table 432, and announce that in view of our discomfort, this would be our new table. The question still remains, why take 3 innocent passengers to such a horrible table????? This is not at all the Celebrity cruise line that I remembered. The food at Trellis was really average, and our new table attendant was really nice and did his best, although it was not his responsibility the actual cooking and/or the quality of the ingredients. Since when, it is OK to order a side of Asparagus, only to have on your plate the bottom of them and not one tip??? Does Celebrity think that we cannot differentiate a good tenderloin from a dry, overcooked, tasteless piece of meat?

The food at Oceanview Cafe was average as well, nothing impressive, awful sushi, you had to keep walking around to find the station that had iced tea or coffee.

Then, there is the Cafe BACI, three times I went there, the first one the attendant didn't pay ANY attention to 4 of our calls, so finally my husband had to go to her, only to have her at our table with a frown and a dismissive attitude, the second time we went with a couple we met on the cruise, and same thing happens, the men had to get up to get someone to take our order, same story dismissive attitude and the worst service, and the third time (thinking that maybe we had to give them one more chance) we sat there for 20 minutes, no one came or payed any attention, the table next to us gets occupied by a little group, and then the girl from our first visit ( a girl from Colombia) came running took their order and swiftly arranged their table and got them coffee. Needless to say we left......

Our cabin was another disappointment as cleanliness and maintenance goes, the balcony lights did not work, the flowers were kept there dead for days until we had to throw them away, mirrors and tables were never properly dusted. The first night they forgot to set the bed for my son, they set up the cabin only for my husband and I, even when a couple of hours before we had all been introduced to our room attendant. Never heard ANY announcement in our cabin, for that we had to go into the hallway, since the speakers in our room never worked.

The next issue was the amount of youngsters with nothing to do, running and bothering other passengers. As I am sure Celebrity knows, the cruise ship is supposed to come up with activities that keep them busy, not knocking around the cabins just to see what happens, and I am talking about teenagers and pre-teens as well. I saw and heard other passengers complaint about this, and call the attention of these kids. I would suggest setting up a curfew for kids, there is no reason why kids RUN and I mean literally RUN and knock doors at 1 am, with no supervision whatsoever.

Our oasis for peace, and good service, were Bistro on 5, this was very good, as well as the staff, really attentive, and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable, especially Diego and Alexis. SS United States was excellent, the sommelier Olena, was very good and knowledgeable, the food, was definitely better quality than Trellis and Oceanview. Then there was Qsine, which I consider a VERY good idea, a different concept with a superb service and excellent food. The staff Alena, Anka, and the girl from Peru, whose name I don' t remember right know, they are all doing an excellent job.

Cellar Masters is a great idea, but I would suggest Celebrity to make it more intimate and closed, sort of like Michaels Club, since right now is only a hallway, not very appealing to sit, taste wine and enjoy.

Had not been for the Ports of Call and the oasis mentioned before, we would have gone crazy.

Overall we feel the ship shows a lot of bad maintenance, the halls and elevators most of the times looked dirty, the staff at Trellis does not look in sync, on the contrary they look overworked, and tired. Definitely our previous experience with Celebrity was a lot better, and this ship or the cruise line has degraded.

Publication Date: 01/11/12