Veendam Cruise Review by sebring4444

Veendam
Veendam
Member Name: sebring4444
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: NN
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
Honest Review... Bermuda
This was my first cruise. I decided to take the Veendam out of New York.

Disembark New York-- Getting to the terminal is an adventure. Driving to New York is frustrating enough, let alone trying to fight all the cruise traffic. Parking is along the ship for around 200 dollars. I dont think its cheaper anywhere close enough to worry about. As we drove up to the bag drop off, a guy took our bags, and said "Tips are appreciated in order to make sure your bags will arrive to your cabin". Basically, what he was saying was if you want your luggage, pay a tip. OK. So I gave him a tip and prayed it was enough to get my luggage on the boat. The paper work part of the sign in was quick and in no time we were on the boat.

Days at sea-- There are 2 days at sea on the Bermuda cruise. There isnt much to do on the boat. One of the days I was so bored I actually went to the ships library and found a book to read. I know, hard to believe.

Food--- The food was OK. The first couple days food was only served over the glass. You get in line, stand in front of the food you want, wait for a server, point to the food you want,then hope they understand you. We didnt reserve any specialty restaurants, because I didnt want to dress up like I was going to a funeral, just to eat the same food they had at the Lido. The pizza guy seemed mad that people wanted pizza. Probably because he couldnt believe anyone would come back for seconds. Pretty much tasteless. The burger shack always served me pink burgers. You really need to find what you like and pretty much eat those things all the time.

Bermuda-- The island was the best part of the trip. The best beaches ever. Wont go on too much about the island, except to say everything was way overpriced. We only ate off ship once and paid 30 dollars for some chicken at KFC.. Ouch.

Docking in Bermuda-- The Veendam docks in the heart of Bermuda, right next to the bus terminal. Great if you want to go via bus. The other ships dock way out at the tip of the island.

Entertainment--- The magic show was good. I didnt go to the singing shows, I was already sea sick. Carlos, the cruise director, was the typical guy trying to be overly happy about everything. The older generation loved him.

Would I recommend the cruise to a friend..... YES... I dont know of any other way to see Bermuda on a budget.

Would I go on the Veedam again .... NO.... There just isnt enough to do on the ship. And the 2 days at sea were just terrible.

Publication Date: 01/11/12