Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by TMGe: Fabulous Graduation Gift

Fabulous Graduation Gift

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Copenhagen

After reading some of the negative reviews, I felt compelled to review this Baltic Cruise. First, I must confess, I am a seasoned and snobby cruiser- I expect the best and only book upper end suites. However, my daughter graduated from high school and this was her gift. What started as mom and daughter ended up to be mother, daughter and two of my friends. We ended up booking two aft mini suites side by side. I have decided to divide this review in a few sections, so please read below:

The cruise itself:

This was a wonderful experience. I have never met so many friendly people in the northern area of Europe. The excursions were fabulous although we did a lot of walking so you need to be in shape for some of them! We tried different cuisines, drank local beers, and asked lots of questions. Expect line-ups as they can be long especially in Russia, but having good company passes the time quickly. Every store in Russia offers you drinks of local liqueur or vodka- More it was a hoot. I strongly recommend going a couple days early and enjoying Copenhagen- we enjoyed it immensely (although it puts a dent in the pocketbook!).

The Ship and our Cabin:

The ship is older but immaculately maintained. Our suite had a recent carpet replacement, new linens, window coverings and a new granite countertop in the bath and coffee area. We had a large balcony with two lounges, a couple of chairs and a small table. It also had the biggest bathtub I have seen on a ship- almost need a stool to get in. I loved our coffee maker and there was always coffee, tea and creamers. Our steward was wonderful and we had lots of towels- as good as Holland America's butler service in a penthouse.

Since we were at the back of the ship, I knew we would get vibration getting into ports in early morning. If you don't want vibration- stick to the middle of the ship as some of the ports are small and there is lots of noise and vibration. The only downfall was our cabins were above the stage area and while at night it was not a problem, our siesta time was interrupted with rehearsals. We are night owls and enjoyed all of the entertainment- great bands from the small rock group to the classical duo. Magic show was fabulous.

Food:

The food was good- not great, but good. We never waited for a table and the service was friendly and fast. My only disappointment was we booked the French Specialty Restaurant and it was only so-so. The dining room was much better in my estimation.

I would cruise with Norwegian again and recommend the Baltic Cruise. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun

Great balcony. Very large bathroom with huge tub. Lots of space but a bit tight around the bed.