Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by boy's mom: 4 day was OK

Compare Prices on Majesty of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

4 day was OK

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Bahamas

We live near Ft. Lauderdale and therefore had no need for flights, transfers or hotels.

Embarkation- We registered online, so this part was super easy. Arrived about 11:45 and was walking on board by 12pm. Didn't bring our own case of water this time as I was told it is no longer allowed (brought individual Brita water bottles with built in filters instead. Filled it each morning with 2 glasses of water at the buffet) We ate lunch at the buffet and then hung out at the pool deck. Our staterooms were ready at 1pm and our luggage was delivered by 1:30. Wait until the absolute LAST MINUTE to go up to the mandatory safety muster. You're squished in "shoulder to shoulder" with your fellow cruisers for what seems like an eternity, which is very tedious for adults as well as children-- so do not go early. Luckily, unlike some other cruise lines, you do not have to take your life vest with you, so you are free to go directly to the pool deck for the bon voyage party as soon as More muster is over instead of having to return your vest to your stateroom.

Staterooms- My husband and I had an outside cabin with a small window, our 3 boys had an inside cabin. Both were quite small. The only place to put empty suitcases was under the bed. Bring your own disposable wire hangers as there are not near enough in the closet. There are only 2 outlets on the outside vanity (none anywhere else) so bring an extension cord if you want more than 2 things plugged in at once. Also, as usual, there is no lighted clock so since this is a middle-of-the-night must-have for me, I brought my own. Also brought a night light for the boys. I like to write notes to myself about spa appointments, ect so I brought my own post-it notes as well. There were a few sheets of stationary in the cabin. Although our cabin attendant was very friendly, always had a cheery "hello" for us and asked about our day, she kept forgetting about the number of bath towels we need (each cabin starts out with only 2 even though our boy's cabin for example, had 3 people booked) and we had to ask for extra towels everyday.

Ship info- Majesty is a small ship. 2 pools, 2 whirlpools (no slides, as on all RCCL ships). On decks 3 and 4 you cannot walk all the way through from one end to another due to the dining rooms on one end. On the casino deck, there is a pass through lounge along one side so you do not have to walk through the casino with kids.

Dining- It is virtually impossible to find a table at the Windjammer buffet. Each time we went there for breakfast and lunch we had to walk around and around before finally finding a table. One morning we had breakfast at the dining room. It was much more civilized and besides ordering off of a menu, there is a small buffet as well. Dinner in the dining room was nice. We had the early, 6pm seating. The food was satisfactory (better than what I cook at home), but not as delicious as other mid-priced cruise lines we've sailed on. The desserts were not wonderful,but so-so, which saved on the calories! The service was very good. Our servers were very attentive and got us whatever we needed. We signed our 2 little boys up to get picked up by the kid's club staff at 6:40 (the only time they do this) at the dining room entrance. This was a very nice perk. Their children's meals were brought to our table very quickly after ordering. They ate speedy-fast and then were happily on their way to play while we enjoyed a leisurely dinner.

Activities - Bring a highlighter and pen to mark the activities your interested in on your daily itinerary (which is delivered to your room each night). The rock climbing wall was really fun (you just have to bring your own socks, they provide the shoes). Don't join the crowd during the initial wall opening. Wait until the next session and then you can sign the waiver and climb the wall without the big crowd of people. The gym was similar to a 4 star hotel gym except the only cardio machines were treadmills and bikes (no ellipticals). Bring your own headsets for the TVs. It opens at 6am which is the best time to go and get your choice of cardio machine and no wait for the weights. If the gym is pitch dark, try the door anyway and see if it's unlocked, then enter and turn the lights on (this is what the gym trainer told us to do). If it is still locked, go back out to the hallway and call the front desk. Tell them to send someone up to open. There is a drinking fountain but no water cooler.

Kid's Club- Staff was very friendly with the children and my boys loved attending! They allowed my younger son who is 8 1/2 to be in the 9-11 yr old group with his older brother. We did not allow either of them to "check themselves out", just our personal preference. My boys very much enjoyed the activities there and constantly asked to go to the kid's club to play. My only gripe is that the hours the club is open are broken up throughout the day, so you have to make sure your spa apts, ect coordinate with the kid's club hours.

Spa- I booked a "3 services for $100" (50 minutes total) package deal (hot stone massage, foot massage and something else). My masseuse was very friendly and skilled, but the room was absolutely freezing so my time there was less than ideal. I complained to the spa manager who was not the friendliest nor the most empathetic and somewhat condescending, but she did offer me a complimentary spa appointment to make up for it. Instead of taking the chance on freezing in one of their little massage rooms again, I booked a salon appointment. I got a wash, deep conditioner, blow out, and quick mani/pedi. Again, my stylist was very good and personable and I tipped her generously (which I could afford to do since my appointment was comped).

Entertainment- We attended the shows in the Chorus Line theater each evening. The juggler and the comedian were very good. The Majesty singers and dancers were simply Ok, similar in talent to community theater performers. The nice thing about this theater is that it is not overly crowded. If one arrives at least five minutes before the start of the show, you can get a good seat with your group.

Disembarkation- On your last evening you must put your big bags out in the hallway by 11pm (if you want them delivered to baggage claim at the dock), so keep a small tote bag or small rollerboard available for your overnight toiletries and PJ stash. Fill out the form for your credit card gratuities early on so you receive your gratuity vouchers by dinner time on the last evening. This way, you can give the vouchers to your cabin steward and waiters on the last night. On the morning of disembarkation we went up to the buffet for breakfast at about 8:10 (and again, had a really hard time finding a table). They close the buffet promptly at 8:30 (as stated on your itinerary) so if you want to eat breakfast before disembarking, make sure your there by 8:20 at the latest. We ignored the whole "wait in your assigned lounge for your luggage tag # to be called" and simply proceeded to the exit and left the ship when we were done with breakfast. It all went very smoothly.

Summary- This short, 4 day cruise on one of RCCL's smallest ships is a perfectly nice "I don't have to cook and clean for 4 days" type of cruise-- the staff, for the most part, are very friendly, the ship is clean, and the kid's club is loads of fun, but don't expect gourmet cuisine or Broadway caliber shows. Just enjoy it for what it is-- a quick, clean and enjoyable get-away :-) Less

Read more Majesty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Majesty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Majesty of the Seas Oceanview Stateroom Deck 2

Disembarked very easily. Had to be back on the ship by 2:30pm so only had 1/2 a day there. We've been to Key West twice before. If you've never been there, the tour train that shows you around town is a MUST. 90% of your tourist activities (museums, shopping, trolley/train tours, and restaurants) are within walking distance of the dock so simply disembark, purchase your own tickets and walk to wherever you want to go. We have 3 sons ages 21, 11,and 8, so we visited Ripley's Believe it or Not, the Shipwreck museum (both right by the dock) and the Hemingway house (that one was for me :-). The Hemingway house is about a 15 minute walk from the dock. Take the guided tour to get the most out of it. We bought combination tickets for the Shipwreck museum and the Hemingway house.
Read 729 Key West Reviews

We did not purchase any tours in Nassau as everything we wanted to do was near the dock. We walked to the Pirate Museum (about a 10 minute walk), a few streets behind the straw market and purchased our own tickets there. It was well worth it. My 3 sons loved it. We then walked about 20 minutes to Fort Charlotte and purchased tickets there.(lots of cannons, underground tunnels and fort walls to climb on!)and then took the bus back to the Straw Market. The Straw Market was very disappointing. It's in a new, very nice, open air building but carries none of it's former wares. Every booth is exactly the same. The pretty purses, watches and jewelry are no longer there for sale.
Read 2609 Nassau Reviews