Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by WorldTripper: Wonderful Regent Getaway

Compare Prices on Seven Seas Mariner Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful Regent Getaway

Sail Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Other

A frequent cruiser on the 5 and 6 star lines, my wife and I booked a quiet getaway, seeking a port intensive but low-key itinerary. Regent has maintained the reputation of style and elegance with a heavy emphasis on food and service. My expectations were met on most levels.

The ship was beautiful and even quiet. At certain times of day, I felt at times we were on a private yacht.

Our usual dining room was the lovely Compass Rose, and we shared a table on several occasions with equally impressed and experienced cruisers. Menus were varied and well executed, service eager to please and substitute, particulary in the case of my gluten intolerant wife. We were impressed.

Both Signatures (we managed to get in twice, just to have a better go at the menu) and Prime 7 were delightful. I'm a big fan of foie gras, and managed to have it several different ways throughout the cruise. My wife enjoyed the magret of duck as well. The quality of the meat at Prime 7 was More outstanding, and my filet was cooked to perfection.

La Veranda had a wonderful atmosphere and menu. I found the half buffet, half full service a bit confusing, especially since our waiter never explained fully and only took our orders for entrees. We found out later we had never had the opportunity to try the delicious pastas. The next evening, we opted to return to the Compass Rose.

I loved going to the coffee bar for my morning macchiato. The breakfast buffet there was varied enough for it's size, the bagels always fresh and delicious. I enjoyed reading the morning paper over my first and second cups.

Out suite was wonderfully appointed, the bed very comfortable, and our pleasant steward was thorough yet non-intrusive. In fact we rarely saw him, until his evening rounds. He was always gracious and couldn't do enough for us.

Tours were varied and interesting taking full advantage of the locations, with opportunities ranging from the laid back to full on adventure travel. The tour staff was very helpful. While I didn't feel ready for zip-lining, the island tours appealed to us, and the local guides were well informed and colorful.

We always enjoy good lectures when we cruise. The onboard lecturer was also very well informed, had good photos, and spoke knowledgeably on some destination oriented topics. We enjoyed her insights into the local arts and culture and her talks on the historic architecture. Her morning lectures were usually scheduled too early for us, so we preferred to watch them on our stateroom TV. We finally met with her after she appeared in the "Liar's Club", where she "creatively" convinced us to believe her stories. Now that was a fun show!

While big production shows are not our cup of tea, I enjoyed the sets and costumes, particularly the Cirque de Mariner extravaganza. I wondered if any of those young dancers had actually seen any of the ethnic dancing they attempted to emulate.

A wonderful musical duo from Montreal performed in several of the bars and sometimes on deck during lunch. I found them to be very good and tasteful, their music appropriate. We were there to relax, not to dance.

I look forward to my next Regent cruise, probably in the Mediterranean. Less