Norwegian Star Cruise Review by ase9999: This star does not shine

ase9999
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Western Caribbean Cruises

This star does not shine

Sail Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Tampa

This is my third cruise, but my first time on Norwegian. Previously it was Holland America. I was attracted to Norwegian by the free style approach, and that part of the cruise was wonderful.

I traveled alone and found the balcony room very tiny, but in good condition, although for a recently renovated ship I was surprised who antiquated the TV was. Even the ship's stations came in poorly.

I did enjoy the cabin , but wonder how two people fit in it with their luggage.

The food was HORRIBLE. I tried four of the specialty restaurants and found the Italian to be the only acceptable one. I first ate at Cagney's the steak house. The steak was so tough, even the waiter could not cut it using the seat knife. I returned it, and the second one came out only slightly better. They had to give me a special chefs knife to cut it, but that knife finally worked.

The second night I tried the Bistro French restaurant. I ordered the duck. It was one tough bird! More It was overdone, and I sent that one back.

The third try was La Cucina, the Italian one. At least this was acceptable. The rib eye was nothing special, but compare to the other two, it was heaven.

I then tried the Asian style Ginza. The sushi was watery from being improperly defrosted. The shrimp dish was also returned.

I finally ate in the main dining room. The food was not much better, but at least I did not have to pay extra for it.

On the possibility that Cagney's had an off night previously, I foolishly ate their again. This time the fillet was tough as shoe leather. The couple sitting next to me both returned their food.

The entertainment was not much better. Only the last night finally was any good. The piano player's singing in the atrium was so bad that I had to leave the area.The carpeting in the hallways was worn and torn. For a ship that was supposed to have been recently renovated, there is no excuse for worn out torn carpeting.

Finally, all the elevators has this terrible smell emanating from them. It was so bad that many of use walked the stairs rather than deal with that terrible smell.

On the positive side, free style cruising was wonderful as was the staff. The staff was fabulous. The cabin was cleaned twice a day, and everyone was very helpful. They all made you seem like they were genuinely happy to help you.

If food an overall ship quality are important to you this star does not shine. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eight 9602

Mid ship balcony was in a great, quiet location. Very small room with very tiny closet. Overall nice, but not great,

(4)
Just a lot of fun.

(3)
The park was very boring. Only miniatures of the different ruins on display. We needed to go there because the tequila tasting room was inside the park.

(5)
This was the high point of the cruise for me. Cozumel was a charming little town, even though very touristy. The tequila tasting excursion was so much fun in addition to being informative.
Read 1069 Reviews

a very poor country. I took a tour of the city, and was surprised at all the poverty. The people were very friendly. The port shopping was very contained. One could tell it was owned by the cruise lines. Again, if you are not interested in water activities there is not much to do.

This was a totally fake city. Built by the cruise lines. It was lots of fun even though it was only for cruise line passengers.

Beautiful weather. If water sorts are not for you there is not much to do.
Read 1661 Roatan Reviews