Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by hokierick

Member Name: hokierick
Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: OC
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        3-6 3.0
        7-9 4.0
        10-12 3.0
        13-15 2.0

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Family Fun on the Sun
This is my way of paying-it-forward as I found postings on Cruise Critic to be very helpful in planning this vacation. I'll also re-post this review on the message boards and upload the dailies from our cruise. We booked two adjoining rooms (7001-7002) since my wife and I traveled with our four kids, ages 5-14.

Embarkation: Smooth. Lines, yes, but moved quickly. Friendly staff. Probably 30 minutes from shuttle drop off to on the ship.

Dining: Loved it. Really enjoyed the main dining rooms. Service was excellent and we ate there every evening and lunches on sea days too. Did not try the specialty restaurants so cannot comment on them. But we all thought the non-extra pay food options were excellent. A couple of tips: the outdoor buffet at the aft of the ship is a great place for breakfast and you can often avoid crowds there. Yes, the buffet setup is a little odd, but we always walked right past the line at the entrance (where waffle/ice cream station is) to either access it from the back or, as mentioned, at the outdoor buffet which was never crowded. In the evenings they do crepes next to the ice cream station. Don't miss those.

Public Rooms: Didn't spend a lot of time just hanging around inside but everything was very clean and sparkling. The ship looked fantastic. I really question negative reviews in fact. Were they on a different ship?

Entertainment: Did not attend all the shows, but really enjoyed the ones we did go to, particularly the juggler--simply outstanding. Comedian was pretty good. The Encore show was fun and the singers/dancers were very good, though as a Dad with young children there, I question some of the selections. I suppose it just reinforced to me that the values of Broadway don't line up very well with mine. "We Will Rock You" was a lot of fun too by the way.

Cabin: Exceeded expectations. Having adjoining rooms (door in-between) was great for our family. And both cabins had pull-down beds which made the bedding arrangement just perfect so the rooms did not seem small at all. We had plenty of room for a family of six! Very clean, functional. Beds very comfortable. Steward was attentive to our every need. Only (minor) complaint is that because we were next to the Kids Club, there was a lot of kid traffic and noise in our hallway. We knew that ahead of time but it was worth it to have the adjoining rooms with pull-down beds. If you are traveling with kids, be sure to make sure your room(s) have the pull-downs--they are terrific!

Service: Excellent everywhere. Again, negative reviews regarding rude or uncaring staff are inexplicable to me. We were treated terrifically all week.

Fitness & Recreation: Didn't use the pool as much as we thought we would. And although I intended (smile) to use the fitness center, I never did. But it looked very modern. Track around ship is nice. We did play some hoops on the basketball court which was tricky given the wind up there :-)

Shore Excursions: Did not book any through the ship but were happy with the ones we booked on our own. We especially like using Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman. We also really loved Great Stirrup Cay. Wonderful, relaxing day at the beach.

Enrichment: We didn't do a lot of "enrichment" activities but there are plenty offered (see dailies).

Value for Money: The best deal we could find for week-long Caribbean cruise and in just about every respect our expectations were exceeded. We really had a great week.

Would I recommend Norwegian in general or this ship in particular to a friend. Yes, yes, yes. We are already planning on our next cruise, very likely to be with Norwegian.

Publication Date: 01/06/12