An Oldie But Goodie: Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by DonaldD
Overall Member Rating
An Oldie But Goodie
Destination: Western Caribbean
No, we don't work for Celebrity. This was our second cruise with them, though. Here's why we committed for another journey, details tbd. Our first major cruise was with Carnival and the contrast continues to amaze.
1. Despite some remarks in Cruise Critic reviews, we found the service (and food) in the main dining room to be exceptional. Our waiter even served up a third entree for the two of us, to More demonstrate that his recommendation against that entree was well placed. (Certainly surprised his assistant waiter, when two eaten entrees and another barely touched had to be cleared from our table!)
2. We were surprised to find that we looked forward to the cheeseburgers and fries at the poolside grill each day. No, we don't normally chow down on such fare. But, the burgers were not your typical McDonalds variety and were served with sufficient fresh condiments and vege salads to make a satisfying if not entirely healthy meal. And, the buns were toasted.
3. Our steward was effective but invisible. Our stateroom (inside: we're not rich) was made-up as ordered and serviced punctually. Our only disappointment was that on the last night there was no towel animal, as we'd seen on other cruises. But, given the gruelling workload of the staff on these voyages, we could hardly complain.
4. We took this trip with Celebrity even though we'd already been to one of the ports of call (with Celebrity) -- because it was the only cruise available when my work permitted. We actually enjoyed staying on board while the soccer moms and their kids went ashore, leaving a true luxury experience for those who stayed behind. We wouldn't deliberately take another cruise with a familiar port of call, but to our surprise it was a very nice way to spend time "in port".
5. In summary: There's a reason why one sees in travel guides that Celebrity is the highest rated major cruise line. We're sold and hope to take an extended trip with them in another 18 months, maybe on a relocation cruise that entails a lot of days at sea -- we love that.
One last note: My wife and I spent our 21st anniversary on this cruise and I'm certain it helped cement an already close relationship. What more could one ask?
P.S. As for the comment here that the welcome champagne was served outside and was warm... well, that's also where the embarkation photos were taken and we even bought a copy because the natural light made us look so much better than the flash photography inside! Less
Cabin review: 099007 Inside Stateroom 9
We've been on four cruises. The cabin was set-up exactly as we'd asked and was appointed as expected. Very comfortable, though small (to be expected). The only complaint was the the plunger in the bathroom sink did not extend fully, making it difficult to drain the sink conveniently. Hardly a reason not to sail again with Celebrity.Read All Inside Stateroom 9 (09) Reviews >>
Port and Shore Excursions
Read Cruise Critic’s Celebrity Millennium Review >>
This cruise exceeded our expec...
Small Ship - Great Crew - Love...
Amazing Asian Adventure
OK ship but the best of the be...
Everything Ship Shape