Zuiderdam Cruise Review by Late traveler

Cruise Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: VF
See More About: Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Zuiderdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zuiderdam Deck Plans
First cruise to Alaska
We had planned to do this cruise with 2 other couples from England, my sister and her husband and my girlfriend and her husband. Unfortnately my brother in law died unexpectadly just over a year before it was to happen so my sister came with a friend instead and my girlfriend was unable to make it.

My husband and I had been on the Zuiderdam before(Panama Canal repositioning cruise) and had enjoyed it. But I have to say that the Zuiderdam is a tired looking ship. Also not much going on after 10pm at night really. Dance floor more or less empty, some music in the Crows Nest but a little bit too quiet for us, even though we're hardly party animals!!

The weather was typical of what you'd expect in May with rain most days, sunshine on one. We enjoyed the ports of call - actually came to the conclusion though that we prefer warm weather cruising.

We had a balcony which we didn't use alot except for when we were at the Glacier - quieter there to listen to the cracking. Hear so many people doing the Alaska cruise several times - that wouldn't be us.

Had a bit of an issue getting open seating at a large table - we like to talk to others - but after being steered towards a table for only the 4 or us on the first 2 nights we made it clear we wanted a bigger table and it became a bit of a joke that here came the people that wanted to sit at a table for 20!! We did enjoy the mix of company.

A few too many Australians on this trip - they were a bit overpowering and if I knew that there were large groups of one nationality would probably change the booking. Don't get me wrong, we like Australians and lived there ourselves for 3 years but there were quite a few just too loud.

Overall a good cruise, met expectations. Sorry Vancouver has lost so much of the cruise business to Seattle as there's nothing better than sailing in/out of Vancouver harbour particularly on a sunny day. Magnificent!

Publication Date: 01/05/12