Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by grapetrader

10-12 1.0
        13-15 5.0

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Norwegian Sky Dec 2011
My wife and I had not been on an NCL ship for over 10 years. We sailed almost exclusively on RCCL until about 2 years ago. We found that RCCL had begun to nickel and dime us for every little thing and they were the most expensive choice of cruise line; so we opted to try NCL again with our 3 kids in tow.

Let me start by saying that NCL's "Freestyle Cruising" is awesome! Eat whenever you want, where you want and there is never a shortage of food at anytime of the day. I found the buffet's to be a bit boring as the food remained the same for the entire cruise; but it was good fresh food (which is more than I can say for RCCL Enchantment/Seas who served hospital grade food each day in ALL the restaurants) and plenty of it.

I like the size of this ship after going on the 140k ton ships, 77k ton is a nice size. Easy to get around, never feeling crowded and getting to know some of the staff by name is always a nice thing. There is only one negative thing I can say about this ship and it is a major flaw if you have trouble sleeping to begin with. The mattresses are hard as a rock! I tossed and turned all night long each night because it was so uncomfortable. I even had the room steward bring me an egg crate mattress cover because I had seen that on a previous posting; however, egg crate and all; still no improvement. If they got that taken care of they would have a perfect "10" out of "10" from me.

I have been on over 40 cruises so I know a thing or two about ships and what they can offer. I had no real expectations before going on this trip. I expected a crowded ship, so-so food, and small cabins. Instead I had a full ship that never felt crowded, good food and a comfortable cabin (less the rock hard mattress). The staff could not say "no" to anything. I loved the dining options and food, food, everywhere! You will love this ship. If you have the opportunity to get off at NCL's Great Stirrup Cay; you will have a beautiful day filled with relaxation and fun. The island is emaculate and very nicely renovated. Better than stopping in Nassau.

Publication Date: 01/05/12
Read the Bahamas ports review by grapetrader
More Norwegian Sky Cruise Reviews