Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by calliebear99

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by calliebear99
Voyager of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Member Name: calliebear99
Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Voyager of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Holiday on Voyager of the Seas
This is my third cruise but first with Royal Caribbean; the others have been with Celebrity so that is what I can compare to. This 7 night cruise out of NOLA was average to below average compared with my experiences on Celebrity.

Embarkation- We arrived at the port around 11:30 and it took about 30 minutes from the time the taxi dropped us off to the time we were on the ship. It went very smoothly.

Ship Appearance- Even though the Voyager of the Seas is an older ship, she looked just fine. I didn't notice much wear and tear. The decor was not always to my liking, lots of pastels, but the quality was okay. The one thing they could improve on was that many of the chairs were not that comfortable. The ship was decorated for Christmas. One of the other noticeable issues of this ship was the long wait for elevators. As much as possible I recommend taking the stairs. You could be waiting for an elevator for 15 minutes sometimes...

Stateroom- We had an inside stateroom on deck 9. The room was small, as expected but had adequate storage. We found putting our empty suitcases under the beds worked best. The couch was not very comfortable to sit on (shallow with a low back), but luckily we were only in the room to sleep. Our room had a flat screen TV, and looking in other rooms it seemed some had older televisions so maybe they are changing them out when they break.

Service- Our stateroom attendant was very friendly. He took good care of the room and left us towel animals every night except the first night. I asked him for extra towels and ice on the first day and he delivered them everyday after that without being asked again. We had My Time dining, so our waiters were different every night. Some were better than others- we had a few that we placed a drink order with and the drink never arrived.

Food- The food was very disappointing. I am not a picky eater at all, but there were some nights I struggled to find something to eat on the MDR menu. They didn't have much variety, usually offering 4-5 dishes to choose from with one being an Indian dish. I had pork, chicken, steak, veal, pasta- and none were very good. The Chicken marsala was particularly bad- like microwaved chicken covered in brown gravy. The one dish I did like was the Onion Tart we had on the first night. The Windjammer was okay, but the selection was the same EVERY DAY! No variety. We went to Portofino one night. The service was attentive, but I didn't really care for the veal dish I ordered. I wish they had an outdoor grill like Celebrity has. Also I wish they had drink stations near the pools like Celebrity. When you are in your swimsuit you don't want to walk into the buffet to get a glass of water.

Entertainment- The entertainers were talented, but some of the material they chose was bizarre. The broadway and movie music shows picked some of the most obscure songs to perform. We had 3 comedy shows. The first one was really bad, I forget his name. We had another guy named Milt who was pretty funny and Yakov Smirnoff (yes, that guy from the 80's). We left the juggling show early- it was pretty bad. There was also an Elvis show that was okay, although he spent a lot of time roaming the audience. The ice show was interesting, we had two, one for Christmas and then a regular show. None of the ice shows we went to were filled. It is pretty amazing what they can do with a small ice surface and it being on a moving ship.

Excursions- We took the Maya Ruins Express tour in Cozumel. It was incredibly disorganized. And at the end they dropped us at the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel which deposited us 3+ miles from the ship, with only 30 minutes to get a taxi and get to the ship. I don't understand why they would take ~100 people on this excursion and then just dump them on a ferry with no guide to meet them at the pier. The ruins themselves were interesting and the view to the sea was gorgeous.

So overall, we had great weather and enjoyed relaxing, but I think if I cruise again I will go back to Celebrity. There were just too many things that I didn't like about VOS and Royal Caribbean to spend that amount of money again.

Publication Date: 01/02/12