Carnival Magic Cruise Review by finditapt: Loved the Magic

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Loved the Magic

Sail Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

We arrived in Galveston around 11:45 AM. We walked in the terminal...no lines, through security...no lines, then up to the counter...only 1 person in front of us. Just like that, we were on the ship!!! This was amazing, since EVERY cruise we have ever been on has been an hour minimum in line.

We had one heavy carry on that we kept with us, so we were stuck carrying it around since the rooms were not ready. They said they would not be ready until 1:30, but they were ready just before 1:00. Our Cove Balcony room was great! We had the two twins pushed together to make a King. We had a couch, which converted as a bed at night. Another bed came out of the ceiling above the couch. Plenty of storage. Didn't realize it until Day 4 that there were two huge drawers below the couch/bed. Two closets for hanging clothes, another closet of just shelves. The vanity had 5 more smaller drawers, and some small shelves on the other side of the safe. There are also 2 more small More storage on either side of the King bed. We used the bottom of their stocked mini frig to store some of the sodas we brought. I was really worried about the Cove Balcony. It was great! I loved being so close to the water. No issues with the chairs getting wet or us getting sprayed on. The life boats above us shaded most of the day sun, but we did get evening sun. It rained one day, and we were able to sit on our balcony and didn't get wet...because of the life boats being there. Only downside of the Cove Balcony is when your neighbors slam their balcony doors. They don't mean to do it, they just close hard, so you have to make an effort to close it softly yourself...really loud and not fun at midnight. The beds were very comfortable. Did not wake up one time with a back ache. However, once I got home, the back aches started up again. I need a new bed! They have a blow dryer in the room, but it's not so great. I will bring my own next time. I liked that the TV now has the menu for the entire week to view. It was nice not having to go up to the dining room each day to see what they were having that night. Oh, and no clocks in the rooms, and only two outlets. No issue with noise from our room. Loved that were were very close to elevators, and the laundry room($3/wash and $3/dry). Our room guy, Antonio, called us by name every time he saw us.

I'm pretty easy to please with food, and here are my reviews...

Went right to the Lido Deck to try the Mongolian Grill, since I read so much about how long the lines get. Only 3 people ahead of me. The food didn't blow me away, but my daughter loved it. The rest of the cruise this place always had long lines, but my daughter liked it so much she waited in the line. Lido Deck was always clean(so was the entire ship), and the staff was so friendly. Didn't meet one rude employee.

Burrito Bar: LOVED it!!! The beef had such a good flavor. It reminded me of Mission Burrito.

Pasta Bar: Loved it, too. We almost didn't eat here, because I didn't want to pay. The last day in the dining room breakfast, a lady told me how great it was, and that we shouldn't miss it. We went there for lunch(FREE), and loved it. You got your choice of 3 pastas, 4 sauces(I mixed alfredo and Bolognese) and had grilled chicken. It came with a salad and bread as well. Should have gone earlier in the week.

Desserts: I'm not a big dessert person, so nothing really blew me away as far as desserts on the Lido Deck. On the last day, they did have a chocolate fountain, with fresh fruit that was pretty good.

Homemade sandwiches: LOVED them! Usually had about 10 people in line, but worth the wait. They had a nice variety.

Hamburgers/Hot dogs: HUGE hot dogs. I liked that you could get them with chili and cheese(melted). The french fries were great. I never did try the hamburgers, but my son liked them.

Pizza: Didn't really like the pepperoni flavor, but loved the cheese pizza. Like that the crust was thin.

Ice cream: We got our monies worth with the ice cream machines!!

Drinks: They had lemonade, which my kids loved. They also liked the hot chocolate. I'm a big coffee drinker, but the coffee always seemed to have a little soap taste to it, especially when I had it delivered for room service. I'm a BIG tea drinker, so I didn't care for the "instant" tasting tea, but loved that they had hot water and Lipton tea packets, so I made a fresh cup, and added ice. I liked that they had yellow, blue and pink packets to choose from. If you are a tea drinker, they had flavored tea packets to choose from. Cups are small, so I would suggest bringing your own larger insulated cup.

MDR: We did the dine at your own time, and loved it. They made an effort to seat us with the same wait staff each time. We loved our wait staff, Zhasminia, Rolando and I Dewa. Loved the food. Yes, I'm one of "those people" who order two entrees each meal. I'm not a big dessert person, but I loved the desserts, especially the Bitter and Blanc. My favorite food was the flat iron steak, and the gravy that came with it. Anyone have Carnival's recipe???

Shows: I'm not big on shows, so I did not go to any of them, but my daughter and husband LOVED the comedy guy Marcus Monroe. They weren't too impressed by the other big shows. This is our 7th cruise with Carnival, so they all seem alike to us now.

Went to Nohoch Kay in Costa Maya, since there was incredible reviews, but it was just okay for us. Food was cheap, if you didn't get the AI, and they had free WiFi, which my kids loved. The lady that gave massages was GREAT! Shopping was not cheap here. The cheapest water shoes we found was $23. Those same shoes in Belize was $9.

Didn't care for Belize too much. Ate at the Thirsty Turtle, and hated the food, and it was expensive. If you like knock off shopping(La Coste, etc.) you will like this place. Price were pretty good. $20 for a LaCoste polo type shirt.

LOVED Roatan: Loved that it was NOT flat land. We went ziplining with Clip N Zip, and had a blast. Be careful buying tshirts. We came home with one shirt that had one sleeve 2 full inches shorter than the other sleeve. So, look for flaws before you buy. The people were so friendly, and not pushy at all...I'm talking about the shopping outside the main shopping area. Prices outside the main shopping area was cheap. $5 for tshirt outside, but $10 for same shirt inside main area.

Internet: Internet on ship was a little slow. It was $29 for 45 minutes. I don't remember about the other plans. Oh, and it's $3.95 hook up fee.

Ship shopping: They had a candy store that sold by the pound that was less than I expected. My kids loved this place. The price for alcohol was great on the ship. I'm not a smoker, but cigarettes were about $2/pack. Make-up was cheap. I pay $50 at home, and they had exact kind for $34. They sell lots of perfume, but I didn't look at those.

Debarkation: We did the self assist, and walked downstairs when called, and only had about 20 people ahead of us. Going through customs did not take that long either. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Main 2353

They said they would not be ready until 1:30, but they were ready just before 1:00. Our Cove Balcony room was great! We had the two twins pushed together to make a King. We had a couch, which converted as a bed at night. Another bed came out of the ceiling above the couch. Plenty of storage. Didn't realize it until Day 4 that there were two huge drawers below the couch/bed. Two closets for hanging clothes, another closet of just shelves. The vanity had 5 more smaller drawers, and some small shelves on the other side of the safe. There are also 2 more small storage on either side of the King bed. We used the bottom of their stocked mini frig to store some of the sodas we brought. I was really worried about the Cove Balcony. It was great! It had 2 chairs and a side table. I loved being so close to the water. No issues with the chairs getting wet or us getting sprayed on. The life boats above us shaded most of the day sun, but we did get evening sun. It rained one day, and we were able to sit on our balcony and didn't get wet...because of the life boats being there. Only downside of the Cove Balcony is when your neighbors slam their balcony doors. They don't mean to do it, they just close hard, so you have to make an effort to close it softly yourself...really loud and not fun at midnight. The beds were very comfortable. Did not wake up one time with a back ache. However, once I got home, the back aches started up again. I need a new bed! They have a blow dryer in the room, but it's not so great(short cord, and doesn't get that hot). I will bring my own next time. I liked that the TV now has the menu for the entire week to view. It was nice not having to go up to the dining room each day to see what they were having that night. Oh, and no clocks in the rooms, and only two outlets. No issue with noise from our room. Loved that were were very close to elevators, and the laundry room which was($3/wash and $3/dry and has an iron). Our room guy, Antonio, called us by name every time he saw us.

Went to Nohoch Kay in Costa Maya, since there was incredible reviews, but it was just okay for us. Didn't realize they require reservations for the AI. Food was cheap, if you didn't get the AI, and they had free WiFi, which my kids loved. The lady that gave massages was GREAT! Shopping was not cheap here. The cheapest water shoes we found was $23. Those same shoes in Belize was $9.

In Cozumel, we just did some shopping, since we have been there 5 times. We did shopping DT, and our big mistake was buying something in the first few shops. Start shopping about 10 shops back for better prices. A shot glass at one of the first stores was $3, while the same shot glass about 10 stores back was $1. Cab ride was $7 total to get DT. They have a Starbucks there. They have another coffee shop when you first get off the ship that is pretty good, and will give you 1 hour free WiFi when you spend $4.
Read 3123 Cozumel Reviews

Loved that it was NOT flat land. We went zip lining with Clip N Zip, and had a blast. Be careful buying tshirts. We came home with one shirt that had one sleeve 2 full inches shorter than the other sleeve. So, look for flaws before you buy. The people were so friendly, and not pushy at all...I'm talking about the shopping outside the main shopping area. Prices outside the main shopping area was cheap. $5 for tshirt outside, but $10 for same shirt inside main area.
Read 1651 Roatan Reviews