Coral Princess Cruise Review by Janet Davies

Cruise Date: November 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: AD
Cabin Number: D509
See More About: Coral Princess Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Coral Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Coral Princess Deck Plans
The Panama Experience
We started off with a two night stay at The Courtyard Marriott Oceanfront, Miami which we thoroughly enjoyed, taking in a tour of The Everglades via the Gator Park and airboat ride. The hotel was clean, the buffet breakfast was excellent and we had a view of the ocean from our room.

Our transport to the port was uneventful, however, my case, along with some 11 others was dropped into the sea as the portside staff were loading them at Fort Lauderdale, and I subsequently had to go through all the items to see what had been damaged. Luckily, the only things not working were my phone and camera chargers - the camera was ok thankfully! We received some compensation and had lots of little gifts in our room, such as dressing gowns, slippers, lotus spa basket etc and all my clothes were washed and ironed. I had to own up to the bottle of gin that was 'hidden' in my case but the staff turned a blind eye to this.

The staff on the customer service desk were extremely helpful and charged my phone whenever I needed it doing. However, unfortunately I can't say the same for the photographic staff (or one member of the team) who when I mentioned what had happened actually said 'well that's irrelevant isn't it'! I'm afraid that for the first time, I had to make a formal complaint about someone.

However, having said all of the above, the cruise was excellent, the stops were rather shorter than on our previous cruise, and the Panama Canal was the highlight. Costa Rica was also very welcoming and Cabo San Lucas, well I think I may have to visit there again - enjoyed.

The food on the Coral Princess fell rather short of our last cruise. We do anytime dining, and we always eat in the Horizon Court, however I didn't find the choices as good as before (Star Princess) and I was disappointed that the bacon was always hard in the morning, on the Star Princess they served british bacon quite a few times. I was of the opinion that if you loved fish, you would be ok because nearly everything seemed to be fish - I don't like fish! There were quite a few instances when we really didn't fancy anything on the menu, which never happened before.

The staff were really great, especially the Casino staff. We went to see quite a few of the shows, and we enjoyed all of these.

We had also booked a post cruise stay in Los Angeles, The Crown Plaza Redondo Beach, and this hotel was very good and in a prime spot. We did a couple of tours from there which we enjoyed.

On leaving the ship in Los Angeles, we were handed a letter telling us that we would be picked up from our hotel at 2.30 on our day of leaving, and that Princess staff would be available from 1.30. However, no staff turned up, and no bus. There were 8 of us at the hotel and we tried contacting Princess but were told they weren't sure what was happening and that we'd better get a taxi to the airport. After several frantic attempts, and two taxis being called, we finally made it to the airport with half an hour to spare before boarding - a little bit too close for me!

Publication Date: 01/02/12