Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Tazzycat

Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: J
Cabin Number: c312
See More About: Caribbean Princess Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Not as Good as it Could Have Been
I use a wheelchair, but I can walk some, just not long distances. Embarkation was a breeze, and we could go right to our cabins immediately instead of waiting in public areas for a couple of hours. That was a plus. Also, we could eat lunch right away, and there were always plenty of crew available to help us with getting lunch trays and get us iced tea or water. I walked through the buffet line since it was a short distance and uncrowded. I really like the idea Princess has for there to be a one-way direction through the buffet line, one entrance and one exit. It helps keep people from breaking in line, as they often do on other cruise lines. I loved getting my breakfast coffee and juice brought to me at my table on Princess, something that other lines don't do. I also enjoyed the fact that there were tables specifically designated for wheelchairs (scooters and walkers, canes, too) because it was sometimes hard to find a seat with a wheelchair.

The best meal was the first night's prime rib, which my husband said was in the top five prime ribs he had ever tasted. During most meals I found something that was really delicious, but a few times the food was just okay, not great. Our servers worked their butts off and we gave them special monetary recognition for that at the end of the cruise. Both the buffet area and dining rooms were themselves clean; but I once found lipstick on a water glass that looked fresh. That was the only time anything food-related was not satisfactory.

As far as excursions go, my husband and I did every one of our excursions locally, most of which were identical to tours offered by the cruise line but at local prices (lower) and with the same service quality. We saw Princess bags on other people's arms who did the same excursion as we did, but we paid a local person. We pride ourselves on giving our money to the local economy instead of to corporations, and saving lots of money in the process.

Our stateroom attendant must be new to this because he never had our room done before 1pm, it was never really all clean, he forgot to give us washcloths, soap, and there were days he did not vacuum because the day's sand would still be on the carpet the next day after he had been there.

I can warn other people not to get room Caribe 312 because it's right between the laundry room and the crew's luggage storage and cleaning cart hallway. The noise from the crew banging the carts and luggage against the wall where my head was on the pillow made the wall visibly vibrate, waking me up several times during the first and last nights. The crew had no idea how loud they were, but I could feel every hit against that wall. There was no noise in my room from the laundry next door.

The entertainment variety was almost none at all. Singers and dancers, That's pretty much it. There were two nights of comics, when the theatre was packed, but the other nights we didn't even bother to go out after dinner because we were not interested in singing and dancing shows night after night. The dangerous juggling was entertaining, but it only lasted 15 minutes. We wanted to see acrobats, magicians and more comedy, as we have experienced on other cruise lines.

We didn't think we would like soft serve ice cream in vanilla or chocolate choices only, but we did because it was so smooth, not icy. We are used to a selection of four real homemade ice cream choices on other cruise lines.

Princess really shines on immigration and disembarkation. Instead of calling the name of a missing person on the public address system when they don't show up for immigration, Princess hunts the person down. There's always one or two who don't think the rules apply to them, and sleep through immigration, making everyone else late for flights. This was the easiest disembarkation ever.

Since we have been on 12 cruises before this one, we were comparing the events and experiences between Celebrity, NCL and Princess. We prefer Celebrity by far and we probably won't cruise with Princess again unless the itinerary and price make it too good to pass up.

Publication Date: 01/01/12