Star Princess Cruise Review by oldlawmom: Star Princess -- Venice to Rio

Star Princess -- Venice to Rio

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Venice

My friend and I flew directly to Venice and got on the ship. Things had started well when we were upgraded to a mini-suite, a luxury we had not expected and which enhanced our experience. I used the bathtub nearly every day. Another great aspect of our onboard experience was dinner, as we had both incredibly nice and interesting table mates, but also attentive and over the top pleasant wait staff. We were at table 249 in the Amalfi Dining Room at 6:00 P.M. Food was good too, here and all over the ship, although I only ate in the Horizon Court, had a piece of pizza, and room service breakfast.

Everything about the onboard experience was terrific. We enjoyed three of the 4 production shows, several musical shows with performers, a couple of comedy shows, and karaoke (best ever anywhere). Tommy Macphee was wonderful in Crooner's Bar, Craig not so much. He could use some personality lessons. Since my friend is really into karaoke, we really got to know the entertainment More staff. We also participated in some of the onboard lectures. I did the Portuguese at Sea classes and both of us were in the Princess pop choir. This cruise featured 9 sea days, and it was easy to stay happily busy.

Suggestions I would have for improvement -- have a pool that water aerobics can be done in. The tiny pool I found that was shallow enough was really a bit too warm. The three main pools are too deep for an average sized woman. Other than that, can't think of a thing. Shore excursions -- Dubrovnik: We went on the brandy tasting and it was a good tour, highlight being able to see the old town of Dubrovnik at night. Corfu: Weather not so good, but I loved this port. We visited a Greek Orthodox monastery and fishing/tourist town, then had lunch with oozo and all the wine you could drink with folk dancing. This was actually my favorite port, in spite of the weather. Malta: I did the archeological tour and it was quite interesting, especially the old ruins that are older than Stonehenge. You had to wonder how civilization got out there. Food for more research possibly. Loved this tour as well. Tunisia: Hated this tour, except for the Carthage part. We were dropped of in "the Medina" for nearly an hour to "shop," with folks jumping out at you to sell their wares. I did not feel particularly safe there, actually. The meal was also very bland, and I had expected a fabulous meal. The Carthage ruins were definitely the high point, and the museum was also interesting. I would recommend the half-day tour over the whole day tour for this one. Gibraltar: I had signed up for the pub crawl, and it was canceled, so I did the little cab tour outside the ship. It was acceptable and I actually got to see more than I would have having done the pub crawl. This was a fun port, and would go back in a minute. Recife: Icky port over all. We drove by some nice parks, but only visited 3 old churches with nice views. We saw a lot of dirty streets, and families sleeping on cardboard. If I ever have Recife as a port again, I will stay on the ship. Rio: Definitely recommend the all day debark tour if you are not staying in Rio. We saw all the major sites and the chiaroscuro was amazing. So over all, 5 out of 7 good port experiences. All Princess tours except for Gibraltar. I think Princess is particularly good at organizing their tours.

One more thing -- We had a tragedy on this sailing. A crew member jumped over the back of the ship. The Captain made the decision to go back and look for him. He kept us up to date on every aspect of what was going on. In fact, this captain, Captain Kent, had a lot of interaction with the passengers. The search was in vain, but it is good to know they tried.

I hope I have covered everything. This cruise was a great experience, the 4th for me on Princess, but first without my husband who passed away in January, but the very first for my friend, who I was definitely out to sell on Princess. It worked. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin Deck D626

We were upgraded to a mini-suite. The highlights of the mini suite are extra space an a real bath tub. Our location was on the aft side of the ship, not near an elevator, fairly close to the laundry. I only noticed any noise one night. This suite has a little sitting room and would easily sleep 3 people or a family with two little children. The balcony was fine. I personally spent quite a bit of time on it, especially after we got into warmer climate.

(5.5)
In spite of the less than stellar weather, this was my favorite port, as we travelled to a tourist town and visited a lovely monastery. The high point was the meal of local foods with plenty of wine and a sample of oozo and some entertaining dancing by locals.
Read 269 Corfu Reviews

I loved Dubrovnik! We went to a little town on the water that was lovely. The brandy was good and costumes colorful. In the old town, we got to experience the charm. It didn't hurt that it was a perfect day.

Gibraltar is a nice port. I think everyone enjoyed stopping there. I should have done a Princess tour, but had signed up for the pub crawl in memory of my hubby. Since it was canceled, I did one of the local cab tours, and that is a good value as well -- got to see the cave and the monkeys. This tour ends downtown, and I liked the downtown. This is actually the only port where I did any shopping. Fun port all in all.

I took the archeological tour and got to see ancient ruins I never would have gotten to see otherwise. The museum is quite interesting as well.

There is a lot of waiting involved on this tour, but it was certainly worth it to be able to be at the Christ the Redeemer statue on Christmas Eve. That was a very special experience. One word to the wise -- if you go to the barbecue, don't founder at the buffet. They are going to bring you more food -- meat of every kind. Save room for it. We could have used a bit more time for eating, actually. We had a very late flight and would have enjoyed less time at the less than stellar Rio airport.

I hated this tour and the port itself except for Carthage. The ruins of the Roman baths are pretty amazing. Tunis may be making progress, but the city is very dirty. Our meal was nothing special either.