Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by CruiseGal60

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by CruiseGal60
Celebrity Silhouette
Celebrity Silhouette
Member Name: CruiseGal60
Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: A2
See More About: Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Great Cruise - Beautiful Ship - The Silhouette
This was our first time on Celebrity and we certainly picked the right ship. The Silhouette was beautiful. The glass enclosed elevators going through the center were awesome. I did notice some people were afraid to go to the back along the glass, though.

I liked all the spaces you could go to and just hang out. The hideaway being my favorite. It was also nice having the restaurants located in one section.

Before I begin I would like to clear up some of the questions that seemed to be cropping up on the boards regarding Aqua class and Blu. Blu was totally anytime dining. Our TA had us pick a time, however, something about a computer glitch. There was note saying we had this time as a reservation and thereafter it would be anytime. We called to change the time and were told just come whenever. We never had to wait for a table. I spoke with the Matre'D first thing about the dress code on formal nights and he said it was smart casual every night. Although I did notice most men wore jackets on formal nights, this was not mandatory.

We arrived in Bayonne on Dec. 12 around 12:45pm. Check in was fairly fast and easy. Our cabin was ready when we boarded. We dropped off our carry ons and went to get lunch. Thanks to cruise critic posters, we enjoyed a nice lunch in an unhurried, relaxed atmosphere at Bistro on 5. Well worth the $5pp cover charge, IMO. We walked around the ship to get the "lay of the land" so to speak. Our safety briefing was held in the theatre and was quick and smooth.

Food: Blu is beautiful and the food was delicious. I did notice, however, an inconsistency in service throught the cruise. Some days the food arrived quickly and others it was very slow. We had breakfast one day in the MDR but it was rushed and crowded and they balked at a table for 2. We loved the Tuscan Grille and ate there twice. Murano was a bit over the top for us, although the food was good. I liked Quisne and though it fun, however DH hated it. He likes simple, down to earth food, whereas I like to experiment. Overall, we both thought the food was great and and service very good. We met another couple and as expected, they could not eat with us. Actually, we liked not being able to bring guests. If every one did this it would no longer be special. However, the Maitre D did get us discounted reservations at the Tuscan Grille.

Alcoves: We had purchased an alcove for sea days prior to cruising, but cancelled all but two days. The alcoves are nice but not very private. People were always walking by and looking in and asking questions. The attendant was really good, however, and got us anything we asked for. We received complimentary lunch at the Porch or in the Alcove. We were also able to use our beverage cards at the Alcoves.

Beverage Packages. I had a premium alcohol and DH and premium non alcohol (he does not drink at all). I felt they were well worth it. We never had any problems. The staff seemed to know the codes. I was glad I got the premium as drinks at my favorite bar, the Molecular, cost $12 each. The staff got to know me and I no longer had to shown my card each time. I think I went through the entire menu. DH and I also enjoyed the various coffees at the Cafe Bacio. When I got the final bill, each of our drinks was listed with a zero charge attached, did I really drink that much? LOL.

Room Steward: He was wonderful and went above and beyond and was rewarded at the end in addition to the standard gratuities. The last sea day was kind of rough and this in combination with a rotten cold I had come down with kept me in the cabin most of the day. He actually seemed to regret that we chose not to have the room serviced in the morning.

Room Service: We used room service a few times and it was excellent. The food arrived in no time and everything was as ordered.

Pool: The Solarium was nice, however, it was difficult to get lounge chairs on sea days. We did not use the other pools.

Shows: We did not go to many shows. Overall, they were ok. The Broadway show was pretty good but I thought the magician was horrible.

Children: What children? I think I maybe saw 4 or 5 children the entire time and they were very well behaved, more so than some of the adults.

Labidee: We were able to secure a cabana at Barefoot Beach and it was well worth it. The only problem was went I went to the vendor section of the island. The outside vendors was very aggressive, going so far as to touch you and attempt to lead you to their tables. Although I was probably safe, I felt uneasy and got the first tram back.

Debarkation: It went very well. The only problem, and this was not the fault of Celebrity, was the lack of porters at the terminal.

Overall: It was a wonderful trip. It went by too fast. Celebrity is now our favorite line. There was only the one expected noon announcement from the Captain, not constant interruptions like some other lines. Officers and Captain were seen quite often about the ship and always pleasant and helpful. Since were in Aqua Class we had access to the Persian Gardens. There simply were not enough ceramic lounges. I also wish there were a thalassotherapy pool.

Publication Date: 01/01/12