Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by Got2bsunny

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by Got2bsunny
Splendour of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas
Member Name: Got2bsunny
Cruise Date: February 2005
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: F
See More About: Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Splendour of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Splendour of the Seas Deck Plans
Splendour of the Seas - Western Caribbean
We had a group of 12 individuals on this cruise with the majority of us being first time cruisers. I should note that I was one of the first time cruisers.

We arrived at the pier around 12:30 p.m., porters efficiently helped us with our luggage and directed us where to go. Upon entering the building we quickly made our way through security and to the counters where we were checked-in. The Embarkation process was a breeze and went extremely fast with no waiting at all!

After boarding, we found our cabins (I got lost and the staff was great about helping us to our cabin). While looking for my cabin, I also saw my luggage waiting to be delivered to my room. Most of us had our luggage within 2 hours of boarding. I had an outside cabin on the Deck 6 next to the photo gallery. The cabin far exceeded my expectations! If you have ever gone camping in a small RV camper, these cabins will be comfortable.

Our group of 12 was split into two tables for dinning. Originally, we thought we would be next to each other but instead we were on different floors. We could have switched around but opted not to after getting to know our other table mates.

I did not like the Windjammer Cafe, but I should note that I do NOT like buffets. The breakfast buffet was OK and nothing to write home about. The French Toast and Pancakes were good. Avoid the scrambled eggs if you don't like soggy, uncooked eggs. The omelet station was excellent, however, be aware that they use the same cooking utensils between omelets and if you are allergic to something there may be cross-contamination.

I liked the food you could get in the Solarium. The BBQ Chicken Pizza was awesome, but only served on one day. Personally, it should be a regular item.

The food at the King & I Dinning Room was good but not 5 star fare. I enjoyed my food and only had a few items that were a disappointment. I asked for Shrimp Cocktail every evening and it was delivered as promised. On the last night, I received a double order of Shrimp Cocktail and was thrilled! I passed on the Lobster and had the prime rib instead. My prime rib was perfect and very tasty. The Lobster tails were disappointing and small. I enjoyed the desserts except for the last nights brownie dessert which had coffee flavor in it and I HATE coffee.

As a group, we all enjoyed our shore excursions. In Grand Cayman, we planned our own excursion through Divers Down Scuba & Snorkeling with the Sting Rays at Stingray City. In Costa Maya, we did the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins and found this to be a nice shorter trip. Belize I did the Cave Tubing w/ my Fiancee. The Cave Tubing was fun, but I didn't like the 45 minute walk because I have feet/ankle problems and did twist my ankle slightly. In Cozumel, I went SCUBA diving through the ship. They used Sand Dollar Divers and I was impressed with the service. There were a total of 12 divers split into two groups of 6 for the dives. Our first dive was Palancar Wall drift dive down to approx. 80 feet and the second dive was a coral reef close to the piers down to 35 feet. I saw lots of fish, lobster and a moray eel.

Overall, I really liked the Splendour and found her size to be just about perfect. Chair hogs were a frustration, but I found lots of space to lay out a towel and to lie on the deck. I would definitely cruise on the Splendour again and am planning my next cruise already.

Publication Date: 07/20/05
More Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Splendour of the Seas review Read the next Splendour of the Seas review

Cruise Critic's Splendour of the Seas Review