Queen Victoria Cruise Review by Manxie57

Member Name: Manxie57
Cruise Date: December 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: A6
See More About: Queen Victoria Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Queen Victoria Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Queen Victoria Deck Plans
Cunard the best?
My husband and I booked this cruise as Acapulco and Panama Canal were what we wished to see. I found out just before I cruised that Acapulco had been crossed off the itinerary well before I booked but I was not informed at the time of booking. This meant I was a little disaapointed before I started out on the cruise. Embarkation was total chaos. After a 10 hour flight to Ft Lauderdale we stayed overnight at the Hyatt regency. The following morning we had to leave our luggage outside our hotel bedroom for collection. The luggage was just moved to the car park where we had to identify it again before it could be put on the coach. The staff dealing with this procedure where pretty disorganised. We saw our luggage onto the coach and then got told that there was no room for us and we had to wait for another coach which took half an hour to arrive. When we got to the port we had to wait in the coach for 10 mins before the driver would let us off. He informed us that tips were the order of the day as he was not employed by Cunard!

Food in the restaurant was poor, steaks ordered "medium/medium rare" were presented well done on numerous occasions. L'escargot in garlic butter were served with broken shell still intact. Soups were served extremely salty. Entertainment was disappointing as there were no top line entertainers. The 4 production shows were Ok but not as good as other cruise lines I have experienced. Apart from the theatre there was no other cabaret entertainment apart from the resident singer in the ballroom. The most enjoyable place on ship for me was the Commodore Club where the cocktail pianist/singer played every evening.

The cabin was always kept very clean although we always had to wait till around 12.30 for our room to be made up. We usually went to breakfast around 9.30 in the Lido which we enjoyed.

Disembarkation was awful. We had to queue for 2 hours onboard ship for US immigration to check our documents. We wondered whether the cash inducements offered by LA harbour to ships for slowing down (using less fuel)coming into port 20 miles out was a factor in us being late docking.

In my opinion based on cruises with P & O and Royal Caribbean, whilst Cunard wins hands down on decor and fit out, the other cruise lines have better food and entertainment.

Publication Date: 01/01/12