Carnival Magic Cruise Review by usclakertraveler: Great Ship with only a few nick-nacks

usclakertraveler
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Great Ship with only a few nick-nacks

Sail Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

This was our sixth cruise as a family, and were all excited and had high hopes for the Carnival Magic. For the most part, the ship met our expectations.

First we start with EMBARKATION

Very quick and handled well by the staff. We went from curbside to the ship in just under 20 minutes at around 12:30, but our cabin wasn't ready until 1:30. It definitely is a head-scratcher why Carnival chose Galveston as the Magic's homeport because of its lack of proximity to Caribbean ports, but nevertheless, embarkation was a breeze.

Overall rating: A-

ACTIVITIES ON BOARD

On the top decks of the ship, activities were at a plenty. The SkyCourse was a blast, but not quite as fun as I had expected. The whole SportsSqaure idea was great, but very childish and only 1 ping-pong table for 4,000 people? Really?? The outside workout areas were a great idea, and I did use them quite often. Basketball court was fun, and the movie screen was a great way to pass the More hours with great sound quality in comparison to Princess' MUTS. The waterpark, I must say, was amazingly fun, and the kids loved the spray area. The Lanai was great, with a bbq during days at sea that consisted of burgers and hot dogs that were actually quite good.
Inside the ship though, during the day, the amount of activities was disappointingly low. Not much to do inside during the day, not much to do outside at night.

Overall rating: B-

FOOD

The food was without a doubt INCREDIBLE. Great food in the dining room, the Cucina de Capitano, RedFrog, and amazing food in the Steakhouse. Breakfast was mediocre, but we had room service mostly. I have no complaints in regards to the food.

Overall rating: A

SERVICE

Service was also amazing.....Everyone said hi in the hallway, and our waiting staff was always friendly and at our service. Just great.

Overall rating: A+

SPA

All I'm going to say is......most relaxing experience of my life.

Overall rating: A+

ROOM

Our balcony room was nice, but we had traveled in suites on our previous 2 cruises, included a loft suite on Oasis, so it seemed small. It did it's job, and having a balcony to me is a necessity. Beds were very comfortable, and there was enough room for the three of us in the room. Key word is enough. Four people in one balcony room would result in one person keeping some of their clothes in the luggage.

Overall rating: B

Costa Maya

Easy on and off, great Chacchoben ruins, and I HIGHLY recommend booking with Native choice and doing the Ruins and Kayaking with lunch and the BACALAR LAGOON.

Belize

Not easy on and off, and actually had to miss our zip lining because of it. Cave tubing and ATVING was a blast, but even though cave-tubing.com was more chaotic then booking with Carnival, it was MUCH cheaper and I would recommend it.

Roatan

Personal favorite port, and we horseback rode on the beach with a visit to West End. If you go to Roatan, you NEED to go to West End. Great restaurants, beach and amazing snorkeling as I found out.

Cozumel

You can never go wrong with Cozumel. We sailed here on the America's Cup tour, and it was a blast. I highly recommend this tour and is actually a great workout.

Nick Nacks

Bathrooms far and wide. Serenity next to waterpark? Um, really? Low ceilings-over 6'4 you're going to be ducking inside. Not easy to get around the ship. Must pass through casino on deck 5. Ship would completely shut down after 1:30-nothing to do at all afterwards.

Overall thoughts on the ship: A great ship with a lack of activities to do inside during the day and outside at night, but great food and service make it a ship I wouldn't mind cruising with again. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Panorama 11254

11254 had the BEST location possible on the cruise ship. Right next to the buffet, waterpark, spa, everything. The room itself was nice, and having a balcony above the lido deck was definiely something I would recommend because of their absolutely amazing views.

Fun tour itself, but slightly chaotic due to tenders.

(5.5)
Horseback rode, west end....GO TO WEST END!
Read 1646 Roatan Reviews