Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Claudec41

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Claudec41
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: Claudec41
Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: PR
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Disappointing
Cruise left from Cape Liberty NJ.

I drove down from Montreal the day before and we stayed at Days Inn in Parsippany NJ. The motel is a 45 minutes driving to Cape Liberty.

On the way down my wife made a false movement and pinched a sciatic nerve so she had serious problem to walk. We arrived at the port at 1,15pm and there was so many persons for registration that the line was up to the exterior. Looks like 2000 persons arrived at same time. While I was gone to park my car she waited sitting on a bench. So I ask for a wheelchair in order to take her to the ship. Within 10 minutes somebody came with the wheelchair and took us trough the line and we could board the ship very smoothly.

Our stateroom was ready so we had to walk to the room as there where no wheelchair service available. After we got to the room I went down at the customer service to request for wheelchair rental and I was told that they don't offer that service on the ship then I was given a phone number and a telephone to call an outside supplier that would rent me a wheelchair.

After more then 1 hr I finally couldn't get any because they were all rented. So I returned to the stateroom and my wife was almost crying because she couldn't walk out the room. What a good start...

The next morning we went to the doctor on-board because the pain that was so heavy that my wife didn't sleep most of the night. As we could not get a wheelchair, we were lucky to meet people from Ontario that had stay at the same motel the previous night and they had a wheelchair because the lady has to used it when she has athritic crises. They offers my wife to have it for several days. I can't understand that a so big cruise line do not offer wheelchair rental for unexpected disability.

It was our first cruise with RCI and found that meals are no more than standard and another disappointment was that we had our table in an other room adjoining the main diner room.

Night shows were very professionals, the best we ever had on different cruise line.

Stateroom was clean and functional (I had reserve a Promenade room) and we were not annoyed by noise as everything is finish at 11 pm.

I had book an excursion in St-Thomas, when we arrived at the beach there were no lounge chair available. Labadee is not the best place to stop because of the distance to walk to the best part of the beach (I calculate 3/4 miles with Google Earth)

Disembarkation was a mess. I had gone to the meeting of the ship ambassador

and told her I would need assistance for disembarkation. She told me to go down to 2nd floor and somebody would come with a wheelchair. After 30 minutes of waiting in the room I was told that it would take another 45 minutes before we could get assistance because of the number we had to pick up our luggage. I asked how far it was to get there she told me 90 feet. So my wife could walk there and at last get off the ship. Everybody seems to not know how to handle the disembarkation.

Overall the staff does everything for your satisfaction but our next cruise won't be with RCI.

Publication Date: 12/29/11