Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Tnjgotts: Christmas Cruise 2011
Overall Member Rating
Christmas Cruise 2011
Destination: Western Caribbean
- Kids had a great time.
- Teen program was an unexpected hit with my son.
- Ship was decorated beautifully
- Ice show was really well done
- Ports of call were wonderful and the weather was really lovely
- Service in the restaurant was excellent. The food was also generally very good, but not spectacular in my opinion.
- The staff on the ship was friendly and helpful, especially with the large numbers of kids on board.
- The embarking process in Galveston was a disaster. The ship went through 'extra cleaning' and they wouldn't let folks board until several hours after the planned departure. The cruise line went to the trouble to charter buses to take all the passengers to the other side of Galveston island where we would wait at the convention center in relative comfort. However, the goofball who planned this obviously expensive work-around, couldn't calculate how many buses would be needed to do this. We waited in line More at the port for more than 2 hours to simply get on a bus, to take us to the convention center where we would wait 2 more hours. No-one at the port could give any explanation for the long line -- it was only right as we got to the end of the line that we realized we were going to get on a bus instead of go inside the port terminal. Surely the cruise line could have sent an email even a few hours ahead of time telling people of the delay so we could have waited in comfort at home or the hotel instead of crazy-long line.
- Food in the Windjammer was plentiful, but poorly prepared. I tried several items which were disappointing: watered down juice, tough and tasteless pancakes, overcooked hard-boiled eggs (the whites were brown and hard). After a while I learned to stick to sliced fruit and salads where the cooks couldn't ruin the food.
- I got tired of the endless art sales. Easy enough to avoid, but still not of interest at all to me while on vacation. Just one person's opinion.
- The ship photographers seem to be everywhere. I'd love to buy a few photos, but it's so hard to find them on the display walls that I usually gave up and went on to our next activity.
- I am allergic to smoke and therefore could not enjoy several areas of the ship, including the casino. Less
Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>
Port and Shore Excursions
Chacchoben Mayan Ruins
The tiny ship I'm tossing
WORST Experience Ever
Loved all of it!
MEDIOCRE AT BEST!
The Royal Caribbean Diet
Best Family Holiday
Average to Good