Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Courageous

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Courageous
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: Courageous
Cruise Date: December 2011
Cabin Category: E2
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        3-6 5.0
        7-9 5.0

THE LIBERTY OF THE SEAS ISN'T ALL THAT!
(Took my son and his wife and kids on this cruise for his 40th Birthday.

If we hadn't brought decorations and paid $50 for a cake, he'd never have had a "happy b-day wish" from RCCL (although we ordered the birthday package it never came!)

Our travel agent sent chocolate covered strawberries to the 'adults' and cupcakes to the kids, and a bottle of Champagne to our table at dinner. The staff made no attempt.)

Although at first you think this will be wonderful, just you wait! The cabins, while very clean, are bare bones. I had a balcony stateroom and my kids and grand kids had 2 adjoining rooms next to mine. The best thing about this is that we could and did open the doors between the balconies and therefor had a triple sized one. The body lotion, shower caps et al little amenities didn't exist. I'm so happy I brought my own soap, shampoo and conditioner. Theirs was really bad!

The SPA - what can I say - just either bring resolve to say no to their sales pitch or bring a lot of money when you settle your bill as the products they push. are REALLY expensive, and they try not to take no for an answer. Also if the treatment is $150 on day 1, it will be $99 on day 5...so wait!

The food - if like me you don't want to gain weight you will be thrilled to see their vitality menu. Dinner was listed as a 600-800 calorie 3 course meal. Well, please don't trust that! The night they served the Vitality Prime Rib, it was a slice the size of the plate! How DARE THEY? The portions are huge so you must practice portion control as well as watch the rest of the table eat the ooey gooey fat laden stuff. As for SALT - well all I did was drink bottled water (Pellegrino was $11/bottle at dinner!) and eat cold cereal, yogurt and fruit on my balcony for breakfast (a room service disaster review to follow), salad with no fat anything on it (think plain balsamic vinegar as dressing)daily for lunch in the Windjammer (which was VERY GOOD!) and by day 5 as we disembarked my ankles were the size of my thighs! They must put salt on everything they serve! YUCK! I'm home since Saturday and today (Monday) is the first time my ankles have come down a bit!.

Room Service - I must say that I only ordered breakfast but even still the didn't get it right once! My son ordered RS once and they messed that up too. I got an excuse that it must've been the rowdy kids (?) who stole my ticket off my door and that's why RS never delivered my order. As an apology, they sent a platter of chocolate covered strawberries, which I did not eat as I was trying to stick to my regular diet (except for a vodka on the rocks at night). My son got a note w/o any strawberries. Why the distinction? Mine came at the beginning of the cruise; his at the end. My guess is they were so busy making amends that they couldn't sent strawberries to everyone the screwed up!

The Staff - The wait staff was GREAT. The room service attendant good. The rest of the staff was friendly but inept. No one understood what we asked nor did they know how to help us. Find an English speaking staff member (try hard!) and you'll be ok. Oh they are nice and pleasant, but that's it.

The Entertainment - Saturday Night Fever was the best of the cruise. The rest - skip!

Excursions - over priced, didn't live up to expectations. Don't think Haiti just because you are in Labadee. Think a Disney beach experience. The same with the port of Falmouth. It is a totally bogus creation by RCL.

The Kids Club - my grand kids (age 9 and 6) loved it! This allowed the parents some time off. GREAT!

The Dreamworks Experience - really fun. It wasn't like Disney in as much as you didn't feel like you were on a Dreamworks cruise. They had photo opps, parades, etc. which were fun.

The WEBSITE - double check ALL your reservations made online. Only some of ours existed. The cupcake decorating (at $22 pp!) didn't show up and I wish they didn't have last minute room for us. WHAT A RIP-OFF! Think HAIR in the frosting!

I've saved the WORST for LAST! DISEMBARKATION!!!! If you can carry your bags yourself, get off the ship first! If not, be prepared to give up all your good and relaxed vacation feeling before you reach the luggage. This is the worst of any port I've experienced (Fort Lauderdale) and I've embarked and dis-embarked in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Barcelona, Dover England, and Buenos Aires. How they can treat people like such cattle is beyond me! My grand-daughter (age9) had a total meltdown. It was hot, long (at least 1/2 hour line) and disgustingly smelly. GET A PORTER to help w/your luggage and customs. We were talking w/people online who did not get help, and they got stuck for an extra 20 minutes getting thru luggage, customs and the lines to get to transportation. It was the best $30 I spent on the cruise getting help. Our porter knew the correct lines to get on, and how to get us thru the crowds to get to where we had to wait for our transportation. He was the BEST.

While nothing was terrible except for room service, this just fell far short of what I am accustomed to in terms of amenities, and niceties. It was just plain - but good.

I will think twice before repeating on Royal Caribbean CL again.

Publication Date: 12/28/11