Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Lawnquilt: The Good, The Bad and The UGLY

The Good, The Bad and The UGLY

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Other

We are only 30 minutes south of the pier, so we drove and left our car in the lot. We are Diamonds and were directed to the priority boarding line, but boy, it was SLOW. The other lines moving much faster.

Our cabin attendant was certainly not the best we have ever had. She was constantly late giving us notices - in fact, we missed the CC M&M because the notice arrived the day after the event. Since we were familiar with procedures, we had to keep asking her if there were any notices for us - we had to have our shore ex tickets printed at guest relations because they never arrived in the cabin. Also missed a notice about balcony painting (while in port) because it arrived the next day, which caused us to have to vacate cabin on sea day and then smell paint the whole night. We did put a comment into guest relations, the paper said someone would get back to us within 24 hours, but no one contacted us about it. We did make several complaints about late notices to guest More relations, the only one who attempted to do something about it was Brittany - everyone else just blew us off. We had to keep going down to get our internet credits and discount for our package. Good thing we kept checking or else we would have missed it. I prefer to hand the tip envelope to the person - I had attendant's envelope put aside - behind a cereal box with the writing to the mirror - well, she found it and took it. It was not in plain view - I had it put aside to hand to her. I guess she wanted to be sure she got it (should have told her it wasn't in our box - hahaha)

I am a picky eater - not a difficult eater, just picky. Our waiter Denise for our early seating table 505 was one of the best we have ever had on a cruise. Her assistant Abinash was new, and he did a great job. From the very first day, Denise had my dinners PERFECT - this earned her a WOW card from me, that's for sure!! We had great table mates - which made our dining experience just great!!

Disappointed at the activities. It appeared that most either were pay to go or there was an ulterior motive (purchase). The shows were not exciting at all. Many people had issues with the one comedian - but he was "equal opportunity" and goofed on everyone - not targeting any particular "group". Lighten up folks. Ice shows were the same that we have seen for the last few times on EOS. We got a special invitation and so went to the show - great as always.
Production shows really need some flashier costumes - I would have preferred less costume changes for some flashier costumes.

Many people forgot the words "excuse me". People running into elevators before people could get off. Line cutters were prevalent.

The girl running the disembarkation at Maharajas was great - she could have used another person like herself. She certainly kept it orderly.

Our port experiences are included in the port reviews. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7320

Took our second Black Swan pirate cruise. This was the excursion I was most looking forward to for the whole cruise. We had taken it previously and loved it. Maybe because it was Sunday, maybe because it was at 9:30 in the morning instead of the afternoon - but it wasn't as nice as it was the last time. The crew seemed to be not as much fun - it was like they were going through the moitons. They didn't do much insofar as the pirate outfits as they did last cruise. Instead of Caribbean music, it was pop hits. On the first cruise, there was a lot of dancing and fun - this cruise, they didn't start interacting and dancing with the passengers until they got close to the cruise ship and port. I can't say I was disappointed - I enjoyed myself, but with a little more effort it could have been a lot more fun. When we returned, we went to ship for lunch and then did some shopping. I think the shop folks were not happy to be working on Sunday.
Read 802 Antigua Reviews

We have been to San Juan on many cruises. Don't do much other than walk to Starbucks and then to Senor Frogs. This time, we took a walk over to the Coach store where hubby purchased a Coach bag for me for Christmas.
Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

We took the Beach Rendevous tour - had taken this tour on a previous trip and really liked it. Our guide - Carlene - was super (had her on the previous trip as well). The beach is clean and there is a nice little bar and restaurant. Umbrellas are $3. You get a rum punch included with the tour. We would recommend this tour and hope that you get Carlene as your guide. the only think I could say that I did not like about this tour (and it was not the tour company's fault) is the hoards of folks selling stuff on the beach. Very very annoying.

My favorite port - though we never get past our favorite jewelry store. We took a taxi up to the main drag and visited Imperial Jewelers so my husband could decorate me for Christmas. I was not dissappointed. I had emailed the Imperial folks ahead of time, and they had a beautiful selection waiting for us. Had drinks and lunch at Coconuts (behind Imperial) as we waited for our rings to be sized. On the way back, we stopped at Senor Frogs right next to the ship for drinks and a snack.
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews